No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Italian' table lighter and ashtray, more info please  (Read 2763 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: 'Italian' table lighter and ashtray, more info please
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »
Regarding the metalwork, the lighter itself and the 'cup' it sits in look to be made of stainless steel, they are certainly a silver coloured metal. They then sit in the 'end cap' which is made of thin metal sheet with a yellow surface finish, in places I can see that this finish is a little worn and I would guess it is a white or silver metal underneath. The base of the lighter and the base of the ashtray are made of the same material.

I really wish they were made of silver, maybe next time.

The marks look to be the same on each item, I am fairly sure that the number is 300 but the smaller punched mark seems to lose all definition when enlarged. On close inspection I am beginning to think that the smaller mark may not be a series of letters or numbers but it may be just a shaped punch or possibly a simple picture in relief.

In relation to country of manufacture, it might be reasonable to assume as the retailer is in Italy then so were the manufacturer(s). However, they were probably bought from a supplier and then branded with each retailers own name and the country of manufacture could easily have been elsewhere. There must be a variety of possibilities, I think I may eventually have to contact the retailer after all and see if they can help.

Thanks to all for your comments and help.

John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi John, If you do contact the Jeweler, please post any info you get regarding them.... You've got my curiosity up now.......

Thanks, Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
Certainly Craig, I will probably make use of the google translation tools but it may take me a while to organise and probably take longer for an answer.

John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:30:56 PM »
Unfortunately no reply from Italy yet.....

John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand