No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heavy 'Pumpkin' shaped vase ID. ID = Kirkhill Glass, by John Airlie  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Janet

• Members
Hi everyone,

I bought this vase at a carboot sale about 2 years ago. I have had no luck identifying it and seen nothing like it until today when browsing ebay i came across a Val St Lambert lamp base that looks a similar shape. It probably isnt as i believe Val St Lambert are usually signed, but not sure. anyway it has sparked my interest in trying to identify this vase again.
It measures 14cm high and is quite heavy at 1.2kg. The base is flat with scratches and age related wear. I hope someone can help please?

Thankyou,
Janet.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Re: Heavy 'Pumpkin' shaped vase ID. please help.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »
Hi,
I've certainly seen Murano lamp bases that look like this, usually in red, a friend purchased one at an a Welsh Antique fair last weekend. Also check out this completed Ebay auction which claims to have a Murano label attached  200330779104.
Bryn

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:25:38 PM »
The Murano lamp bases usually measure 10-12 cm in diameter and weigh around 1kg. They generally have far fewer ribs (or none) and a series of largish air bubbles. Also, they are usually coloured and then thickly cased with clear glass.

Your vase does not have many similarities with the lamp bases, Bryn is your monitor playing up?

I did find a lamp base as Bryn mentioned (it is the first I have seen with an engraved number on the base and green), here is a photo of a different red one.

Sorry I can not be of more constructive help.

John.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »
If it were a lamp, would there not be a hole in the base for the cord? I've assumed that these were candle holders, although the couple I have are somewhat smaller.

It looks like it could be Murano to me.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:53:06 AM »
A lot of the lamps are not drilled the cord comes off the side of the metal fitting .

Offline Janet

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:18:01 PM »
Thankyou for your replies, that gives me something to go on.

I did wonder wether it was indeed a lamp base as there is no hole in the base for the cord. Also the cavity is large, more like a vase would be. Having not seen a Murano lamp base close up, i wonder are the bases hollow like a vase or with just a hole to snuggly accomodate the brass fitting?

I agree it does look similar to the Murano ones, and mine is thicky coated in clear glass but no bubbles. Were they made without bubbles at all?

Janet.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 05:20:27 PM »
The Murano lamp bases (as in photo of red one) are usually hollow with a hole in the bottom, they often have a groove for the flex so that the base sits squarely. I do not know if they were made without air bubbles.
I do have a lamp base (origin unknown) which has no neck like your vase/lampbase but it is a little 'rough' around the neck as this area would have been hidden by the light fitting, so did not require a fine finish. Is there much difference in touch or appearance between the body and the neck on yours? I am clutching at straws here, this is not very definitive.
This lamp base of mine does not have a hole in the bottom but it does have a hole in the side for a flex, this hole may have been added after manufacture - it is slightly rough around the edges.
I will add a few photos of it later.

John.

Offline Janet

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »
Thankyou John, photos of your lamp base would be very helpful.

The neck on my base/vase is very well finished off, its smooth with no roughness at all. There are no scratches or marks either where a metal fitting could have been attatched.

Janet.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
I bought this without any light fitting on it and adapted (butchered) a fitting and then stuck it in with clear silicone, so far it has not set fire to anything.

This may not have started life as a lamp base but I would guess it did.

John.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »
Hi:

Johnphilip was right about not all  lamps being drilled for the flex, as I remember seeing some just like that (I have to say, though, that such pieces don't look very elegant, imho)  Also, I think I was a little off in suggesting a candle holder, as I the scale is wrong. One way to see if  it were possibly a lamp base is to check whether the opening is the standard size opening required for a fitting, not that I know what that is.

However, we may be focussing too much on function rather than form. Glass light bases were made all over and establishing whether or not it is a lamp base doesn't help too much in identifying the origin of the piece. I did another quick look at similar pieces I have (photo attached), and the ones I think might be Murano have bubbles are are sommerso.  The ribbed one in the picture has 18 ribs, despite being much smaller than your piece, so ribs don't rule out Murano. The ribbed lighter base I have (same basic shape, but with an additional base polished on the side, and which has Murano label) has a lattimo core covered in gold foil and then cased in clear. I guess what I'm suggesting is that the shape could well be Murano, but I'm now less certain about the  colour. Sorry for being so tentative. I hope for you, like me, the fun is partly in trying to figure things out.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand