No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irridescent Kralik or English?  (Read 2137 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Irridescent Kralik or English?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
I'd stick with Kralik,the flat cut top,pearl iridescence all say Kralik to me,
                                                                                   Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »
Well, interesting, Alfredo and Craig think English, so im forced to sit on the fence with this one  ::)

Anyone else take the English side ?  :-\ :-\ :-\

(oh no , im beginning to sound like someone else  :24: :pb: )
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
Craig and Alfredo know their stuff and I'm quite new to this type of glass but it has that 'Kralik feel',as much as I like S&W and other 'local' glass I'm going to stick with Kralik or a nearby maker,watch me get shot down!
                                                                                    Keith.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
Harrach? They seemed to like these folded up leaves

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »
Craig and Alfredo know their stuff
Thats what i was thinking Keith  ::)
Thanks Christine , another possibility, id like Mike or Bernard to have a look on the English perspective .
Andy
 :D

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »
Hi Keith, I will not be so rude as to "shoot you down".   :thup:

The comment that I would make regarding the piece is that although the piece has some light ribbing, applied leaves, and is mold blown and ground on the lip,  reminiscent of some Kralik work (and also many others including English)....  the primary thing that leads me in a different direction is the use of graduated opalescence in the body of the vase. They also did leaves, just not quite this folded, at least that I have seen. Typically, the Kralik work using opalescence in the piece will have a pretty consistent opalescence throughout the body of the vessel. That is not to say that it is always a real milky opalescence, just that the color is consistent. I have an early vase in my collection which is by them, and it has a light opalescent body similar to the upper portion of this piece, but it is basically the same at the top and bottom of the body. I can not think of having seen a Kralik piece with this type of graduation. My guess is that would also be what Alfredo sees in the piece.

Lastly I would say that almost all of the work on identifying Kralik (and others) is based on empirical study since no accessible  records exist for the company. Marcus did point out that here is material sealed in archives by the Czech Republic and will not be accessible until around 2090.  As a result of the empirical study, the discovery of a single piece of marked or identifiable glass could change many of the currently accepted concepts regarding Kralik.

Personally, I am sticking with possibly English for this piece......  but I would not rule out another Bohemian company either....  Just not Loetz, Kralik Pallme-Koenig or Rindskopf.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
Thanks Craig,
i will put a note in my diary to bump it up again in 2090 ;D
Im not sure of the graduated opalescence ? It may appear a bit less where the glass is blown to its widest,
also the irridescent coating seems to be less where the glass is more stretched.
A couple of photos, without flash,
Andy
 :thup:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
See what you mean Craig,although there are similarities there are also differences,Christine mentioned Harrach they did similar stuff but then again there are  'themes' to Harrach that you find in UK glass,bit of a puzzle this one,if only it had a signature but that would be to easy,
                                                                                                                                                            Keith.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »
Keith,
It is my understanding that there are some of those similarities between Czech glass and English glass due to the migration of workers between factories and countries.... Just as there are similarities between some early English and American glass like S&W and Steuben, due to worker (designer) migration (Carder, and others).

If it was all signed we would not all be friends, as there would be no need for this board..... and we would likely be doing something far less fun!!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 11:30:25 PM »
If it was all signed we would not all be friends, as there would be no need for this board..... and we would likely be doing something far less fun!!
The Board would still be full of fascinating discussion. We would surely all be comparing our wonderful, correctly attributed items, but also asking about such things as date of manufacture, uniqueness of methods used, colour ranges, variations on the themes, etc. etc. etc. In fact, ID is only one part of the function of the Board - even if it has currently developed into the most widely used aspect. ;D
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand