No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pinky looking Art Deco style.  (Read 858 times)

Offline holmgarth

• Members
Pinky looking Art Deco style.
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
And the last.... This is a really nice quality ribbed vase. It has a ground top rim and a flat ground base. The colour is a pale pinky / orange. It measures 6" high. It looks sort of Art Deco but I would have thought it more likely to be 40`s or 50`s...  Thanks again, Jeff

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Pinky looking Art Deco style.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »
I'd have no problem with the thirties. Mine is green and I've not been able to identify. It is sort of in with the Kralik selection - for now.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline holmgarth

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
Hi Ivo, thanks for that. I have had a flick through some Kralik images and the thing that strikes me is the evidence of the workman. They `look` hand made.... the skill of the workman is evident, both in the design, the finish and the feel of it. Whereas, with this piece, it looks `industrial` like the glass has been forced into submission. All of the humanity has been squeezed out of it to achieve the form and style required. In that regard I think it has the `feel` of a firm like Moser maybe ? Cheers, Jeff

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »
Here is the section I mentioned.
I do not entirely agree with your view of the workman having anything to do with design or finish, and I cannot quite follow your Moser feel - I associate Moser with cut glass - not with strong blown shapes like these. Kralik made a huge range of iridescent glass in the 1920s and 30s, but then, so did Maastricht and Leerdam. I am quite confident that these iridescent mould blown coloured vases are Czech, based on the way they were made and on the finish - so I grouped them according to suspicion, ut with no firm attribution.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline holmgarth

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »
Hi ... WOW... lovely glass. I see what you mean about the green one. The shape IS similar. Perhaps I didnt explain myself well, (get a little enthusiastic sometimes !), I meant that the Kralik glass is not `soul less` like some industrial made glass. This pink vase is precise, controlled and lifeless in that respect, whereas the Kralik glass that I have seen is more... `organic`.... more `lively` I suppose. I did notice though that you have grouped your green vase with other iridescent glass... this pink one here is definitely not iridescent. I will carry on looking and if I come up with anything that I think might help, I will let you know. Thanks, Jeff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand