No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Square and 'caramel' coloured?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Square and 'caramel' coloured?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »
Pope Salviati the first???????????

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »
 ::)

On the other hand I could not find a single example of the papal arms where the key handles become sword hilts. And while masons use similar symbols nothing quite like this... so it might be something close to but distinct from the Vatican. Not Swiss Guard either.

Crossed swords are symbolical in catholic church, one is spiritual carried by the church and the other temporal carried for the church.  :24:  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_power )

Is it etched or transfer decoration?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »
It's transfer,some wear to the base but with  practical pieces that's not much to go on,when I first saw it I thought the crossed keys was just the name of the pub it came from,Keith.

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
Looking again at Keith's pictures, I can see a similarity to a basket hilt (such as you would find on a sabre or cutlass), but I'm pretty sure that these are just highly ornamental keys.  Swords in heraldry are often very simple, with just a bar as a guard; that means of course that they can be shown point down, and looking like a cross. (Think knights on a crusade.....)  The crossed keys are, of course, the keys to the gates of Heaven, and sometimes indicate that in earlier times a hostelry had a religious association.  The use of the papal tiara would seem to indicate a continental rather than English origin.  The empty cartouche would seem to indicate that it lacks or has lost an inscription.  This is proving to be a real puzzle!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »
Time line is probably 30s-70s. There is also a cross, Maltese? perhaps on ribbon... knights templar? Were negative towards the Tiara and perhaps this is related to this design... back to masons perhaps. I give up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand