No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting Engraved Goblet - German? English? Czech?  (Read 7742 times)

Offline eglass

• Members
Re: Interesting Engraved Goblet - German? English? Czech?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »
Kristi, very interesting website, I ran across it yesterday morning but didn't have time to do much of a search. It IS what looks to be a double chevron on the left sleeve, and the hat also has what appears to be an "x" or maybe crossed swords? in the center front. Christine mentions the left sleeve being used for conduct medals or patches, another clue. Then the Lippizan stallions being in the region of Austrian region, makes me wonder about a German uniform which I will have to check out this evening.

Of course it could just be a regular horse, and this engraving telling a story of a wild stallion deciding he was going to have a captive horse if he could just get rid of this pesky rider. ;)

Oh, the rim is flat on top but with a minute bevel inside and out, and polished.

Ivo, Kristi and Christine, thanks again for your input.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »
You know, I think there's a possibility it's American.  The bridles looks like Western bridles, the insignia looks like a private (more than corporal; didn't see the other before) in the US Army, the hat is peculiar and might possibly supposed to look something like one of these?
http://www.ushist.com/victorian_hats.htm
The crossed swords shown at the bottom of the page (denoting cavalry) could be the X. 

There were a few companies in the US making Bohemian-style engraved glass in the late 19th C,  New England Glass Co. and Boston and Sandwich being the most likely.  That would fit with a Civil War time frame.

Could you show a close-up or two of the leaves on trees and shrubs?

Gorgeous, very interesting piece.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »
Kristi, now that's a thought! This piece was in a collection along with with several other authentic pieces of Civil War memorabilia, such as some old flasks that we weren't able to get to fast enough.

Let me run take a couple of better closeups - be right back. :)

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
Kristi and all,
I'm adding a larger closeup of the rider, and a separate shot of his boots which don't show up well in the first group of photos.
Also a shot of the bushes and grass, and the tree to the right side of the scene.

These are larger photo files, hope they don't make the page take forever to load for you. Pics are added at the bottom.

Thanks again for all your help!

Kelli

http://www.enchantmentglass.com/engravedgoblet.html

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
I have been looking at this for a few days now wondering what the image reminded me of, and then today when putting some dvds away it hit me "Dr Zhivago" the uniform and hat seem similar.
Tried to find am image see here http://www.cinematographers.nl/GreatDoPh/Films/DrZhivago1.jpg

So maybe Russian?

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the cap the rider is wearing, or on the stripes on his arm - the engraver was probably copying a picture which may not have been that accurate anyway.  I would certainly not be surprised to learn that this was made in the United States in the 19th Century - or that the engraver came originally from Bohemia.  My original suggestion was made solely on stylistic grounds - I've a smallish collection of Bohemian glass of this kind, though nothing of this quality. 

No-one so far seems to have remarked on the rider's cap badge....

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
Hi ,
        Sorry but i don't have the full answer but think I can point you in the right direction , the glass is almost certainly Bohemian 19thc , and I think you should look into the engravers Karl Pfohl and also the Pohl family , both these engravers were very fond of this subject type, i have seen a similar glass in 1 of my many books but so far cant find it ,My main interrest is in 17th and 18thc mainly English glass which is why I am little lacking in this dept the quality of the engraving looks very fine indeed and if can be attributed to 1 of the great engravers like Pfohl it could be a pretty valuable find ,
If i manage to find out anything more concrete I will post it ,

great find ,     Peter.

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »
Sue, interesting thought on the Russian connection - the scene suggests an event in history, and I tend to think Malwoden is correct - that it is just a fine work by a master engraver, copying from a painting or printed image.

Malwoden - do you mean the crossed swords or "x" on the front of his hat?

Peter - WOW! I will research that name and see if I can find any images to compare - I have a few old art glass books but so far haven't run into anything that similar. I am so appreciative of you speaking up about the Pohl family! I mentioned in my original post that a local expert had mentioned a name to me which I wrote down somewhere, and can't find - it did begin with "P" but was different and I haven't been able to reach him this week. This mystery continues!!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
Hi ,
        Sorry but i don't have the full answer but think I can point you in the right direction , the glass is almost certainly Bohemian 19thc , and I think you should look into the engravers Karl Pfohl and also the Pohl family , both these engravers were very fond of this subject type, i have seen a similar glass in 1 of my many books but so far cant find it ,My main interrest is in 17th and 18thc mainly English glass which is why I am little lacking in this dept the quality of the engraving looks very fine indeed and if can be attributed to 1 of the great engravers like Pfohl it could be a pretty valuable find ,
If i manage to find out anything more concrete I will post it ,

great find ,     Peter.

Peter, it reminded me of some of the Pfohl pieces, also. I also believe this is an old Austrian piece, either from Bohemia or perhaps Vienna. The engraving reminds me most of work that was done there.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »
Hi Anita - I found a piece of Karl Pfohl's work online and must say I agree with Peter, the style and detail is SO similar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand