No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting Engraved Goblet - German? English? Czech?  (Read 7761 times)

Offline eglass

• Members
Re: Interesting Engraved Goblet - German? English? Czech?
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »
Kristi, Is Jane Spillman the one at CMOG who will probably reply? There were several email contact numbers on their website, none specifically about glass. I emailed conservation@cmog.org - hopefully the message isn't sitting in the email box of someone who is on vacation, lol.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »
You might have better luck emailing the curator (curatorial at cmog dot org) rather than conservation (the conservator works more with repair and preservation of the museum collection).  Jane Spillman is the Curator of American Glass at CMOG, but seems to answer most glass questions, and she knows a heck of a lot about engraved and cut glass.  She would likely be the one to look at your photos.  She's very nice, and good at replying, but sometimes it does take a while because they are busy or have to do some research about the piece.  They get a lot of queries.  I imagine it drives them nuts sometimes, but in this case I think it's justified. 
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »
I see, Kristi - I'll re-direct my email to the curator email and cross my fingers. :)  Thanks again!

Kelli

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2009, 08:11:11 PM »
I showed your stem to a friend of mine, and she suggested posting it on the ebay Historical Memorabilia discussion board, thinking someone might recognize the soldier's uniform.  There certainly are a lot of military questions addressed there.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »
Kristi, I'll give it a shot. Still no response from CMOG, so I'll go this route and then probably list this treasure on eBay next Sunday night regardless. I'll drop you a line if you want to watch it then. If I kept everything that intrigued me I'd be in serious trouble around here, lol.

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
Kristi and everyone, here's a link to the Historical Memorabilia board on ebay. I've posted my question there, and you can check it out to see if I get any responses that might help clear this up. I'll be in and out this week, and don't want to miss keeping you all posted on anything I may learn regarding this goblet.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Historical-Memorabilia/Interesting-Engraved-Goblet/510113903

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »
Kristi, I just received this reply from Jane Spillman at Corning:

Dear Ms. Rooney,
Your recent message to the Museum has been referred to me for a reply as I've done quite a bit of research on Americo-Bohemian
glass. Your wineglass is not like any piece I've ever seen, both in terms of the scene and in the form, with the twist stem. The first
thing to determine is whether or not it's lead glass, which will tell you if it's Continental, as it appears to be, or possibly English or
American, which is much less likely.

I can't see the details of the male figure in the engraving very well, so although he does look like an army figure, I can't really be
certain of his date.  Even if the figure is an American soldier, the engraving could be copied from a print, and done in Europe.  For
instance, we own a large Bohemian vase which is engraved with a view of the battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac in 1862. 
It was probably made within 6 months of the battle, when the news reached Europe and was spread around. 

But your glass, while very handsome, bothers me because the stem, and the cut panels, seem to date from the 1890's or the turn of the century, which makes me thank that it was made well after the Civil War.  You might try researching prints to see if you can find the source, which would help to date it. However, I think it is far more likely to be Bohemian than American in the Bohemian style.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Sincerely,

Jane Shadel Spillman
Curator of American Glass
The Corning Museum of Glass

So I think we've probably reached the end of the road on this piece, as it looks to be most likely Bohemian and the engravers of the period we're talking about were numerous.

Thank you all so much for the help with this fun piece!!!

Kelli

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2009, 10:28:34 PM »
I've always thought the end of the road was where the answer is!  ;D

Sometimes that road is just longer and has more bends and forks in it than we had hoped for.....

Someone somewhere knows the answer!!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2009, 11:32:20 PM »
Craig, lol - you're right, of course!

I should have said MY portion of this particular road has a big stop sign on it. It's time for me to move this piece along to the next person who can take the mystery further. ;)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »
Hi ,
           Oh well we seem to have come full circle on this glass , and now back to my first thoughts , Bohemian late 19th , I see you mentioned putting it on ebay , It would be great if you let us watch the sale , and maybe if I have a go and win it , then I WILL get to the bottom of it , and reveal all in time , I always enjoy a bit of sleuthing,

cheers ,
             Peter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand