No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase  (Read 35738 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »
John but not jonty.. ive just had a look at the book and i dont think i'd ever even noticed that before they are gorgeous, :o now my jon but also not jonty wont be happy coz i gotta find me one of them...whilst still continuing my ever hopefull search fro a crizzle stone for a fiver on a car boot sale or maybe a tenner at a charity shop.. if ever i strike lucky i will of course wave it under your nose and gloat :24:
michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 08:19:34 AM »
I'm afraid there are very, very few of these big strapped bottles around. I know of this one, one which was sold at the last Gaydon fair, (Peter Elliot again) and a smaller, but signed one which has "been seen" by another very reputable and knowledgeable dealer/expert.

The strapping bears some small resemblance to the characters on the Chinese bowls, although it doesn't cross over itself - the design is very "psychadelic"  - appropriate to the time. (but not multicoloured, obviously)

If I had encountered any more in my collecting life, I would have pounced, because I absolutely adore it - I do try to keep track of things.

Sadly, I didn't meet Mark in time to get pics of pieces from my collection in his book, and living up here in Scotland would have made it difficult too.

I've certainly encountered more Crizzle stones than faceted Inside-outs and strapped bottles - I believe there are 14 known Crizzle stones to date (counting mine :-[)

I do think I might have one piece of the block design - a small amethyst square.

Will get a pic when I get the others sorted out.

These blue cased thick Fish/mallet vases turn up less frequently than the cube ones.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »
Fantastic photos Sue, beautiful vase. :mrgreen:

John.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 06:22:31 PM »
 ;)

But mine doesn't have the rounded out polished pontil mark your does - it's just a flat polished base. However, it would be from the same period, given the deep blue colour that these faceted ones all have (as far as I know).

However, much as I think they're very scarce, this is based soley on the number I've seen for sale - same goes for the big strapped bottles.
It should be remembered there may be several sitting on folk's shelves at home, the owners having no intention of ever parting with them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »
I have been berating my parents for not going on holiday to Malta in 1969, incredibly negligent of them under the circumstances..... ;D

John.

Offline kazleeb

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »
hi,my future father inlaw is from malta and hasn't got 1 piece of glass from thier even my Lee lived thier for 5yrs and hasn't got any you would think they would have,ive told Lee to get his sister who lives thier to trawl the markets for a wedding pressie for us lets see what she comes up with!kaz

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »
'Found' another one this week....

John

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
ohhh you lucky devil >:D John >:D i still havent got one
michelle

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
You have to keep your eyes open Michelle :chky:, I saw this one on fleabay (it was mis-described) and it managed to avoid any delays in transit due to the current postal strike. 8)

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand