No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hayward Brothers & Eckstein pavement lights catalogue, ca 1900  (Read 5802 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Hi all-- long time no yak.  I finally scanned/transcribed my ca 1900 Hayward Brothers & Eckstein catalogue, which at 70+ pages is a very complete inventory of their pavement lights, stallboard lights, illuminated coal covers, etc.  My web version is here, and a 150MB tarball of 300DPI color scans is here.  Souls interested in pavement lights (all two of us, galaxy-wide), rejoice!  "Don't grope about in the dark" for Haywards information, check the catalogue!  --ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Hayward Brothers & Eckstein pavement lights catalogue, ca 1900
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »
Ian — Fantastic.   I had to don a bib;  I was dribbling down my shirt!   Too much to make a sensible comment yet, only that I never suspected such a huge range of products.

Also envious — their light flow diagrams are far better than my single pathetic attempt.

Which leads me on to Chris & Val Stewart's book on Davidson.   I recently bought a Holophane prismatic lampshade with the two sides different, so looked up the Holophane chapter in Chris & Val's book.   There is reference there to the 1906 Dibden photometer.   Are you aware of Holophane's history?

... and there are at least two of us over here, myself and Dr. Colin Lattimore, the Deputy Coroner of the City of Cambridge.  ;D
Brilliant work, Ian, and grateful thanks.  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »
Make that three of us, Bernard!  :hiclp:

I've been fascinated by pavement lights since I was very small and wanted to know what they were and how they worked, and no-one could tell me much then. Now I know, thanks to Ian and his fascinating catalogue. Thanks Ian! :kissy: I can see me spending hours going through this in detail.  :rn:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »
Hi Bernard!

What's obviously missing from this catalogue is the fantastic lens I got from you; perhaps it is of a later date?  This Catalogue is stamped Haywards Ltd, which name change took place in 1916, so it was in use for many years.  I need a ca 1920s catalogue now, from when they were still top o' the world; your lens will show up eventually.

OK, so there are two of you prism glass chaps over there.  Well, truth be told, I know of 3 other people in the US who collect them or are generally interested, so that makes 6!

I run across Holophane constantly in my searches for prismatic glass, but know little or nothing about them.  I'm remiss in that area, but they seemed to specialize in lighting lobes/covers, which was not my thing (which is daylighting), so I've been slow in catching on.  I notice they are still around (holophane.com) and have a history presentation, but it's Flash and my dialup is hideously slow, so I didn't partake.

On cloudglass.com they say "The idea of using shades with tiny prisms to help direct and magnify a light source, whether gas, oil or electric was invented in 1893 by the French scientist Andred Blondel and a Greek engineer Spiridon Psaroudaki", yet famous American glassman Pennycuick patented his prismatic tile design in 1881, though his design was for daylighting tiles, not globes for artificial light sources.

Perhaps the 1893 patent was more like the Fresnel lighthouse designs?.  ...time passes...  OK, I looked it up on espacenet.  It's GB189319185, and seems to be about distributing the light without any sort of magnification.  Their idea was for lighting globes to have vertical prisms on the inner surface and horizontal ones on the outside, a good idea.   (''They are shining on almost the whole of their visible surface and receive for this cause the name of "holophane" (entirely shining)'').  espacenet has the transcription already, which is nice.

Pennycuick's patent (and many others) are available in my patent index.  I will be adding this one too.

On this side of the pond, I also scored a Luxfer Ltd. catalogue from Toronto, which is also online now here; my first good information about Luxfer in the Great White North.

The Dibden photometer is interesting; I'll be reading up on it more.

Thanks for the info, hope all's well out there.

...while I was reviewing this posting, Anne showed up, and she likes pavement lights too!  Still, everyone interested could likely fit in a large car.  Bottle collectors we are not, they're a mob!  As for the Catalogue,  I'm hoping interested parties can print the 300DPI color scan on a color printer and get a reasonable facsimile of the original.  I haven't tried it myself.  Perhaps someone with a color printer can try it out?

Cheers alll!

--ian

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »
I've noticed a trend towards using big holophane-style lampshades with the low energy bulbs in public / community buildings around where I live. They do seem to work really well. Perhaps I should take photos for future reference! ;D

I was also talking to an architect this week about the possible rebuilding of a village hall and suggested the use of glass bricks to give good light without losing the privacy of the neighbours whose properties the revised building would overlook. He hadn't considered that idea and thought it was quite novel!  :thup:

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:11:30 AM »
I found three nice Haywards iron/glass items for sale at The Salvagedoctor in West Sussex!

The prize is the 36" circular floor light-- it's the 2nd largest size HB&E made (largest is a whopping 40").  It's far too heavy, fragile and expensive for me to consider sending to California, alas, tho I'm thinking about it anyway.  It's probably for local pick-up only.  Check these out (original site here):

....time passes.... much frustration and swearing....

I tried attaching pics, but it's not working.  The first attachment was too big and it complained, then when I resized it and tried again, it says I've already submitted the post.  No matter how I try to attach anything after that, it always comes back the same, I've already submitted this post etc etc.

Anyway, go to the salvage doctor's page linked to above to see these three items.

Anne, yes, glass blocks/bricks should always be an option.  Natural light with privacy and security.  The Falconnier briques have even been reproduced (a custom order for restoration), but they are probably too pricey.  New glass blocks come in a vast number of patterns, sizes, and colors.  I have a glass block shower.   Mmmmmmm, glass block!

--ian

[ARGH!  I had to cancel my entire posting and start all over again.  It absolutely insisted I had already posted and refused to allow me to continue, although all I'd done was preview and try to add attachments.  Something is very wrong with the attachments thingy.  So, trying again-- second time's the charm?]

Moderator: Attachment removed as per Board copyright policy, and link added instead:
http://salvagedoctor.com/uploads/images/gallery/other_salvage/DSCF0267.JPG

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 03:44:53 AM »
I've noticed a trend towards using big holophane-style lampshades with the low energy bulbs in public / community buildings around where I live. They do seem to work really well. Perhaps I should take photos for future reference! ;D   ...

Anne — Try using them yourself.   We have had a 10" diameter spaceship-shaped Holophane lamp as the main light in our living/dining room for nearly thirty years.   The light quality is fantastic, giving all-round illumination and gentle, soft-edged shadows.   With two table lamps for a touch of variety, it's all we need.   All the prisms are on the inside of the upper and lower parts, so it doesn't need cleaning very often.   ... and I installed it with a plug and socket ceiling rose, linked by a brass chain, so it takes seconds to take it down, and only about ten minutes in all to clean it and put it back.   I've got its twin in a box under the stairs, just in case ....

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »
Ian, the attachment settings have two sizes - one is filesize as shown the other is dimensions (1000x1000 pixels maximum) but your attachment had to be removed after all that (sorry!) as it was someone else's and as such falls under the board's using other's copyright images policy. I've added a direct link to the larger image instead for you. 

There are some great items on that page too... we have two places like that near us, I'll need to go check them out methinks!

Bernard, I'd love one of those lampshades but I don't have many ceiling lights - most of mine are wall light fittings, so I've nowhere to put one.

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 03:30:47 AM »
We have had a 10" diameter spaceship-shaped Holophane lamp as the main light in our living/dining room for nearly thirty years.   The light quality is fantastic, giving all-round illumination and gentle, soft-edged shadows.

Do you think a Holophane shade does as good a dispersion job as opal glass?  I always thought opal was ne plus ultra, but unfortunately very expensive, and prismatics were a low-cost alternative (since they're made of clear glass).  I have prismatic covers on my outdoor house lights, with vertical prisms on the inside surfaces, and they do a nice job of smearing out of the image of the CFLs... but if they were opal shades, you wouldn't see the bulbs at all.  Dunno.  However, opal must absorb a lot more of the light than clear prismatic.  Which is better??

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 07:54:26 AM »
Ian — The prisms in my Holophane spaceship shade are unbelievably complicated, not only controlling light reflection and transmission, but also varying slightly in size to give a purely aesthetic attractive zig-zag pattern to the lower shade.   The maximum intensity is at about 45° below horizontal, gradually decreasing both up to horizontal and down to directly below the shade.   The effect is to light the floor and walls evenly, up to picture rail height.   Above this the lighting level is lower, but again more light is distributed towards the edges of the ceiling than the centre, giving a reasonably even level of lighting.    There is very little of the pool of light effect above and below other types of lampshade.

Our workhorse dining table is short end to the window, and the inner end is about two feet short of the centre of the room.   The level of lighting from the Holophane shade across it is reasonably even.

The only two problems with Holophane shades are firstly the weight.   As with any pressed glass shade, you will need a chain support with the ceiling rose firmly fixed to a joist or the equivalent.   And, secondly, the lighting is, perhaps, too even, increasing the need for cosmetic lighting to create variety and interest.

And finally you don't see the bulb.   What you see is a Dan Dare spaceship with a large ball of light at its centre.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand