No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Did Dino Martens design paperweights ?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Did Dino Martens design paperweights ?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
Hi

So, what if this was designed by Dino Martens.... what does that add to a rather dull Murano weight? Should I be impressed, and pay more for it? I think not. I like weights because of their inherent quality and attractiveness to me (a qualitative concept, I admit) - not because of the attributed name of the maker.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question , especially to Anita and Christine , Uranium Towers ! As you may have gathered I am new to this whole subject area and seem to be at the base of a very long learning curve. These forums are a huge help in getting up the curve ! Thanks once again  :chky:

You're certainly welcome. I have to add that, though there is no evidence that Dino Marten designed the AVeM scramble vases and bowls, there is nothing to say he definitely didn't. Dino designed for a few companies before joining Aureliano Toso. Two of the companies were Salviati and Fratelli Toso, but Heiremans hinted there may have been others in his book. That leaves the door open to a lot of maybes. It is easy to see Martens in some of the Salviati designs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are his. I don't see him in the cane scramble designs though. They are actually conceptually simple, so may have just arisen like end of day pieces did. It would be interesting to learn who did the first.

I think we can say pretty safely, though, that Martens didn't design weights. However, some weights may have been derived from his designs.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 01:24:31 AM »
As a generalised summary, I would offer the following ...

Scrambled weights from Murano are undoubtedly based on what has been made in large numbers in Murano since the 1830s/40s. And their roots go back (at least) to surface-decorated glass beads and other items which were a main produce of Italy since the mid-15th century [ref the book Paperweights by Sibylle Jargstorf, amongst others].

A major difference between 19th century paperweights from Italy (Murano) and those of other countries in the same period was that the Muranese items did not change very much in style until the early 20th century. And even when the chages did come about, the basic concept of the close-to-surface decorated weights remained a primary feature - and that is probably still true today.

What really changed in Murano in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was the use of canes and filigrana in brighter colours and with clearer definition. The addition of such as aventurine edging to the filigrana was also another step in the direction of brightening things up. However, those "new" concepts were used widely in Murano and it would hard to pin down any particular maker or designer as an originator of those changes. Perhaps Salviati & Borovier had some strong influence, although that does not mean that scrambled weights were "designed" by them specifically or by any other glass master in Murano.

Its simply comes down to a very old technique that has been modified over a long time.
KevinH

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 02:13:46 AM »
Very well said, KevH.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 06:45:18 AM »
[As an aside BB, take your UV light to a museum or a shop with mineral samples and try shining it about. You will be surprised at the reactions. It must be noted that not all UV reactions to light are produced in the same way, but that is far too complicated for this time of the morning. Just remember uranium = a VERY bright green reaction.]

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 10:24:09 PM »
Hi Alan ,
There should also be room for spontaneity ...and any appreciation of paperweights which is only confined to perfection of execution could leave one somewhat blinkered . (Not that I'm saying you are blinkered !!)
I'm sure many of Dino Martens designs with glass could have easily been formed as a paperweight and make superb examples. 
This little, vibrant,  paperweight , with it's scrambled ground was purchased on ebay and described as 'Dino Martens style' (as mentioned above). This isn't the first paperweight I have seen (on ebay) which mentions Dino's name with it's description ! Thats why it's been good to find out if his name might be being used in vain (when it comes to PWs) .
Christine...I will start pointing my UV pen at things in public and hope not to get any strange looks !! 
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 06:44:17 AM »
Christine...I will start pointing my UV pen at things in public and hope not to get any strange looks !!

I do it all the time!! Found a huge uranium glass vase stuffed on a shelf in a pantry/store cupboard in the National Trust Property Castle Drogo in Cornwall. I wanted to rescue it and put it somewhere better.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 06:32:42 PM »
Christine...rescuing glass is what it's all about. Museums, collectors and dealers (at a premium ,or not) ...are all doing it ! Such a fragile medium..it's what it asks for !! 
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
Except you can't rescue stuff from the National Trust , it's already rescued!

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »
Hadn't thought of that one ! eeerrr ....did you save it from the pantry ? I guess it's still there....ho hum.. :cry: !
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand