No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Low-dome Millefiori Paperweight  (Read 7611 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Low-dome Millefiori Paperweight
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 09:23:58 AM »
;D :D :) :D ;D
I am very amused about all that presumptions here......... :thup:

Not really 'presumptions', Lothar!  This subject has been discussed and confirmed by many experts here previously.

I would draw your attention to this page of a very interesting site http://www.cnexpot.com/abglasweb/zxgp35.htm which shows many 'Murano' Chinese weights that might fool the inexperienced eye.   In fact that whole site has many interesting examples of glass of quite interesting and aesthetically pleasing style. In fact, I, like Trufflehunter,  have many examples of Chinese weights which show excellent craftsmanship. The only thing that worries me about them is the quality of the glass used, which I have spoken of previously.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
I thought some people might be interested in this. A lady was interested in selling me a millefiori collection. One of the pieces was a small vase that had canes like the ones in our paperweights in this thread. The canes were set in a similar pattern -- straight row, I guess you would call it. There was an AVeM label on bottom. I have a feeling that the canes are generic Murano, but I thought I would mention AVeM as a possible maker.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »
Hi Anita..................I have 7 or 8 AVEM millefiori pieces and your canes look like they would fit right in! If I get some time this week, I'll take some close-ups.......................Jerry   

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
Hi Anita.................Only found a few things-some tooth picks and eggs. I'm too lazy to get AVEM shoes out of the cabinet. Maybe its just me, but I always say AVEM millefiori is dark and gloomy F/T millefiori light and cheery. Thank goodness for the labels on some of them..................Jerry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 06:16:01 PM »
...AVEM millefiori is dark and gloomy F/T millefiori light and cheery. Thank goodness for the labels on some of them..................Jerry

This is definitely true for this type of glass. Some of the AVeM millefiori vases and paperweights look a lot like the brighter FToso pieces, though. The AVeM pieces tend to have at least one cane pair turned sideways, though. FToso pieces tend to have all of their canes turned face out. Maybe AVeM is making a butterfly among the flowers??
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand