No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Label and vase - ID Help Needed  (Read 1889 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Label and vase - ID Help Needed
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
Got this vase at a show I was at this weekend. The look of the glass reminds me of some Seguso pieces but it is unmarked. The only hint is the label on it. 

I know.... ::)  It is a generic label, but it is one I have not seen before. I went through the Murano label archive and it is not there...

The piece is very well executed from top to bottom...  The bottom is expertly polished, and there is not a single flaw in the piece of any kind I can find. It stands around 9" tall and is about 4" in diameter at the mouth...

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Label and vase - ID Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:39:58 AM »
Lovely piece, Craig. I wish I'd travelled down I5 for the show. 

The colour is different in each picture. Which is the more accurate? Is there an opalescent tinge to the piece? Any gold leaf in it?

Sorry to have more questions than answers.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:19 AM »
Hi David, The piece is a really nice soft pink with a hint of opalescent to it. The outer casing is clear. There is no aventurine in it at all, although I had to look twice when I first looked at it.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:40:33 PM »
Sorry, 

The top pictures is more accurate.....  I played with the other one to get the label to show a little better....

Craig

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:05:24 AM »
Craig:

I thought I had seen something like it in one of my books. A quick look through brought me to the conclusion that was thinking of the colour and simplicity of the Seguso alabastro rosa vases, and, to a lesser extent, the pink opalino vases. But there's not enough opalescence. Just as importantly, the heavy casing at the bottom is quite different from what I would expect from Seguso. I would be leaning towards a nice vase made by a very competent but less prestigious Murano company. I'd love to hear what Anita (TxSilver) thinks about this one.

BTW, you did very well in Montana, which is a little further away from the I5 than I would venture.

David

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:47:57 AM »
Hi David, I am waiting for Anita to come across it and give me her thoughts. 

As far as Montana goes, it is further off of I5 than I normally go also, except for the fact I got paid to go there. I would have been at home and missed the opportunity.  I got some great stuff there including the Vallerysthal vases, which I am thrilled to have been able to buy very very reasonably... I also got, among other things, a fabulous White Steuben Cluthra in the largest size of shape 2683, a 10.5 x 10 inch vase that is magnificent....  No one there knew what it was, and in the whole scheme of things I got it for a song. Not too many high end art glass collectors in the area the auction was held.

The guy had great books also, and I doubled the size of my reference library for the types of glass I study the most....... and they sold the books in box lots..... I bought 4 large boxes for $110.

It was one of those auctions you talk about for years, and hope you get the chance to go to another one like it..... someday.....

This Murano piece reminds me of some of the Seguso pieces also, but it is not quite right for that.... I am thrilled with it though, regardless of who did it. It is perfectly executed, and the best part is that I picked it up for $30, and could not get my money out quick enough....

Craig

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:54:48 AM »
In the book Italian glass 20th century by L Pina page 76 there is a vase with the same label , it says cased opaline and clear vase with twisted form , in the style and the colour of Archimede Seguso .I have a very nice triple somerso perfume bottle with the same label i have been trying a long time to find out about it to no avail .

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:59:42 AM »
In the book Italian glass 20th century by L Pina there is a vase with the same label, the description is cased pink opaline and clear vase of twisted form in the style and colour of Archimede Seguso . i have a triple colour Somerso perfume bottle with the same label . jp

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:11:53 AM »
It does look like the same label! It's interesting that she includes this vase in Italian Glass (2003), but doesn't include it in the Seguso book (2007).

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand