No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pinkish pentagon Art Deco vase - Czech/German/Polish?? // Pamela, help!  (Read 952 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Nicely made.  Big and heavy.  A well-balanced design.
120 mm tall, and each of the 5 edges of the rim is 120 mm.
The base sits on 5 little pentagonal feet.

I'm thinking Walther, SG, Lausitz, Rudolfova, Hermanova or Hortensja, but I can't see it in any books or databases.  

The lady I bought it from was adamant that it had been in her family since the 1950s.  Remembered her father buying it from an antiques shop in London in 1959, for whatever that's worth.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Re: Pinkish pentagon Art Deco vase - Czech/German/Polish??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »
Don't know but I have the same patten in a uranium bowl so I would be interested to know.

Despite looking through lots of pressed glass resources I have not managed to find a match.
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
Thanks, Nemmie.  That's useful.  A uranium version would probably take the pattern back to before WW2, then.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
The pattern seems to be related to one in Marcus' Hermanova Hut pre-1958 catalogue, with one bowl labeled "18955 - 18738". I presume that means that the whole range isn't illustrated.

(Just to confuse issues, Crown Crystal from Australia copied the pattern, and it's known here as "Squared Eye". If you seach the GMB on "squared eye", you'll find more images of this pattern for comparison.)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:16:08 AM »
Thanks, Cathy. 

That's my best guess, too, at the moment.  On her web site, Pamela has the pattern down as Hortensja, also.

I thought the little pentagonal feet would be the clincher for somebody, but apparently not.  Sigh...

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
Hortensia? Oh, that's a new development, thank you - and it seems we do have a pattern made by several companies. (Always exciting :) ) I'll change the title to get Pamela's attention.

Marcus had said:
Hi, re-visiting Pamela's cheese plate and lid....
Speculation over. Czechoslovakian, Carl Stölzle und Sohne, Hermanshütte, pattern number 18948.
Only the cheese plate and lid, and a jardiniere, appear to have been in production until @ 1958.
Probably all other pieces were in the inter-war, or early post-war catalogues.
In the inter-war period, probably imported by Weiss and Biheller, in London.
Regards,
Marcus

So that means that it was only conjecture that the other pieces were made by Hermanova, meaning they could well be Hortensia (if not found in Australia, of course).

Pamela's covered cheese plate is still probably Hermanova, given the mark.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand