No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This Perfume bottle is a real problem  (Read 1144 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
This Perfume bottle is a real problem
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »
Hi All

I have been collecting murano glass without knowing much about it for years then recently you lot have got me going on A. Seguso.

I bought a pair of these bottles hoping they are Seguso but what has happened is that Alison, my talented life partner has decided that she wants to collect perfume bottles. Don't expect you to do anything about this problem but would love to know your thoughts on these bottles.

They are both the same design but one is slightly taller (about 1/4").

They are 4 3/4" tall (120mm) and weigh 10 1/2 oz (300g)
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: This Perfume bottle is a real problem
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
Alison is smart. Perfume bottles are a good investment and they don't take up much room. And they are so pretty.

I've been waiting to see if anyone might know for sure who made your bottles. The form looks a lot like Archimede Seguso, but I haven't seen the filigrana before.

The room sure has been quiet lately, hasn't it?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: This Perfume bottle is a real problem
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »
Hi Ardy,

I would be interested in seeing a good pic of the underside of the bottle. It looks a little odd in the last pic, but it could just be the angle. The bottom for a Seguso would typically be a flat polished finish, as that is where the label was typically applied. We have 3 Seguso's and they are all that way, as are the images I have seen of known examples. The shape is similar to known Seguso, especially with the almost trademark "collar" below the stopper. The exception to that is that my experience is that the Seguso collars are more rounded on the top, and this one appears a little flat, and not quite as well finished. The Seguso stoppers I am familiar with are also more angled on the sides of the ground regions, and this is quite straight ( close to parallel sides).

The green one is 4.25 inches tall and the Burgundy and amber one is just over 4.5" tall.

I do not know who did this one, but IMHO it is not a Seguso piece, although it is similar.

I am attaching a couple of images of Seguso pieces and labels that are in our perfume collection (Actually Peggy's collection which I keep enlarging for her). Both have the same label on them.

Hope this helps.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand