No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ashtray glows under uv  (Read 1528 times)

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
ashtray glows under uv
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »
I have just looked at my glass under a very small uv light(not very good) and a red and clear ashtray glows orange where the red meets the clear then a green on the clear ,not really bright but think that could e due to the small light! also another red and clear vase glowed orange round top rim but no green and lastly the traffic light dish as mentioned in earlier post had a small amount of green glow to it------does some glass glow unintentially due to whats in it??  how do i conclude on my findings lol?
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: ashtray glows under uv
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »
The orange glow is caused by whatever was used to produce the red colour.

The green glow in clear glass is caused by the manganese that was used to decolorise the clear glass. Sand often contains iron, which makes clear glass look green (like coke bottles). A glow that is described as "small amount of green glow" or "not really bright" is almost never uranium.

Your ashtray is a standard Murano form and probably made during the 50s/60s, as cheaper chemicals are now used to decolorise clear glass

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
Re: ashtray glows under uv
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
thankyou :) i learn something each day ......kerryn
xx ...Kerryn... xx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand