No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Scottish Ysart or Baccarat ? Urgent help needed  (Read 1470 times)

Offline YankyGlass

• Members
Early Scottish Ysart or Baccarat ? Urgent help needed
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
This looks a real good buy but unsure of origin looks like a simple Bacarat?

Ebay item number 130327603339

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-paperweight-very-RARE-ROOSTER-design_W0QQitemZ130327603339QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Art_Glass?hash=item1e5821688b&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Would like to buy it because of the rooster design as i collect paperweights and rooster related objects for my ranch in Texas this would fit in great, but would like expert help.

Ends today so any advice would help

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
Re: Early Scottish Ysart or Bacarat ? Urgent help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
Could it be Itallian?  I'd want to know what the bottom looks like.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:31:34 PM »
Hi

I am fairly certain this is Scottish, not Paul Ysart but probably his father Salvador. It is not antique French. And the price is, well, ambitious in my view.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
I would like to buy it because of the canes in the garland - and also to be able to check it under uv light.

The canes are definitely early Ysart, often seen in what are believed to be first period Vasart items. What I could see of the base finish ties in (at least partly) with other known weights. But old Ysart canes have been used in later Vasart and Strathearn well into the 1980s, and one reference book shows that some early Ysart canes also made their way, with legitimate reason, into at least one other glassworks.

I agree with Alan that the starting bid was "ambitious". If it gets relisted with a start price of around 1/10 the amount, I might be tempted to make a serious bid.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Early Scottish Ysart or Baccarat ? Urgent help needed
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:14:05 AM »
Nice find.

The 'other' glassworks with Ysart canes was Perthshire Paperweights, several boxes - but not officially used as far as is known.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Early Scottish Ysart or Baccarat ? Urgent help needed
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
I said:
... and one reference book shows that some early Ysart canes also made their way, with legitimate reason, into at least one other glassworks.
Frank said:
The 'other' glassworks with Ysart canes was Perthshire Paperweights
My comment related to Bob Hall's book Old English Paperweights, Chapter 10 Stevens and Williams. In that chapter, there is reference to "a cupful of millefiori canes" held in the Brierly Hill Glassworks museum and comment that parts of those canes have been matched to the set of Ysart [Salvador] canes illustrated in the book Ysart Glass. Page 127 of Bob's book shows a selection of thirty three of those Brierly Hill Glassworks museum canes. I don't know if they are from, or are, the cupful, but I am sure that the majority are actually full, complete early Ysart canes. This fits with other comments in the book including the point that "several workers came from Scotland to learn glass making techniques in the 1960s and '70s".

There could, therefore, be some frigger weights made at Royal Brierly Crystal which have early Ysart canes but encased in glass that perhaps fluoresces differently from the known Scottish ones with Ysart canes.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand