No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Definitely Chinese  (Read 31292 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 05:08:44 AM »
http://tinypic.com/eufq7t.jpg

Not the best, it's damaged.
Ruth

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 02:20:26 PM »
Thank you Ruth
Yep thats the snowflake label alright. The fact that it's silver rather than gold is not important ...apart from that, what shows is exactly the same.
Could I use your pic on the site please ?  I will give acknowledgment of course.
I think it's important to include some older Chinese pieces to make us realise that the Chinese have been producing decorative glass for many years.
It's worth  noting here that some Chinese paperweights are now sought after. I belive these were made in the 1930's !!!
Terry has "found" some more modern / new pieces and taken photos to add but I'm now cosidering the best way to move forward with the site and think I shall do something a little more adventurous as I'm finding the limitations there irksome.
I don't that I'll be requesting hosting from the Chinese though. I don't fancy being dictated to on any level.
Having given it some thought, I do think a section for Taiwan would be a good idea. Terry bought a piece with a label just this week-end and with Anne's piece, that's two if she will kindly allow me to include it.
Anne I'd forgotten the name of that HTML editor you told me about. I wrote it down and thought yep thats easy to remember. The piece of paper has gone and so have my memory brain cells !!! eeeek !
Pete

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
I will, however, add my Chinese bowl to the pile...

Ah, so that's what that is. I've had one of these pottering around for a while and casually assumed it was Italian!  :D

And Sixtrees still seem to be up and running, making picture frames and glass desk accessories.

Offline chuggy

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 04:20:50 PM »
Peter
On the earlier Chinese pw's I sold a couple on ebay last week, but if you want a picture thers is one on the PW page where Leni kindly told me what they were, this is the white based ones.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 06:11:37 PM »
I'm please there will be a site for all this Chinese glass. As for my photo's, any of them, such as they are at the moment, you're welcome to use them.

Ruth   :lol:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 07:24:47 PM »
Peter, please feel free to use any of my pics you want for the Chinese site, I've a couple of Chinese paperweights in my gallery as well if you want pics of them? The Sixtrees label is in the Labels album on Yobunny gallery - I'll copy it over to GlassGallery with the next batch, so you can grab it from either if you want that. I'm not sure what else I have that is known Chinese - I'll have a rummage and let you know! :)

The html editor is NVU (pronounced newview!) - see the site here: http://www.nvu.com/

Oh yes, I just remembered, I have one of the Chinese Plum Blossom vases which I bought to compare with Mum's ones which uncle brought home from Murano in the 60's. That's in Y Gallery as well.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 10:03:32 PM »
Peter,
You are welcome to use the bud vase picture/label for your site if you wish. You will find it listed under PBG on the identification/label section of my website.  I suspect it stands for Plum blossom glass (but not definitely confirmed yet).

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 02:04:39 PM »
Chuggy, Ruth, Anne & Bubbles
Thank you all for your offers

I have done aother page (page 5) http://www.geocities.com/muscadale/musc5.html
and already spotted something interesting .....

Opinions please as to whether it is sufficiently similar to warn the webmaster of this site
http://ginforsodditiques.com/zwiesel.html
Pete

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 03:05:55 PM »
Peter, I'd say similar but different enough to be from a different maker. Perhaps contact the seller of the "Zweisel" one and suggest he looks at the Chinese one on Muscadale and then makes his own mind up about it.

You could perhaps preface the message by saying we are comparing known Chinese products with similar designs to see if we can find whose patterns are being copied (or something along those lines?) to help buyers of both to be sure of what they actually have, given the improvements in some Chinese production.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Definitely Chinese
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »
Peter, I've had a squint at the two vases and they do look mightily similar, but I've spotted some differences also...  

The Muscadale (Chinese) is a much lighter colour and looks more transparent if you know what I mean. (but could be light conditions)
It has a more pronounced hoop in the mid section above the larger wider hoop than the Zweisel.  It also has an indentation underneath this larger hoop before flaring out into a bell shape, unlike the Zweisel. (but this might be because of the angle of the photo?)
It has a clear glass base unlike the Zweisel.

Its a pity they both don't also mention height.

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand