No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Definitely Chinese  (Read 31296 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Re: Definitely Chinese
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
geocities no longer exists. I should have moved the whole thing while I had a chance. I came across their email warning me of the impending closure but too late. My bad.

I still have the photos on my machine plus many others gathered from the web over the years and a few suspects of my own now too.
Perhaps I should load Terry's original photos onto this board's photo gallery (which didn't exist back then) ?
The newer web pics will have copyright issues as there's no way to contact the owners to request permission.
Or any other suggestions?

Thanks Dean for posting about the seizure of Chinese Glass in Murano in 2010. We here have come across anecdotal evidence that this has been happening for many decades in Venice / Murano and probably elsewhere but until this, no proof.

I have personally bought a few glass bird "sculptures", I would guess from the 50s to mid70s, the quality of which has been highly suspect in comparison to my others, but still no proof.

Pete

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Pete

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »
Hi all

One thing that the Chinese try to do is copy the polished pontil on Vintage and even newer sculptures, figurines etc from Murano.  You may find a polished pontil but it is almost always clumsily polished, uneven in circumference and the outer ring is normally left scarred as the item is never broken off a pontil but sawn off.

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
Dean, the pontil is the metal rod the glass is held on while the piece is being finished. 
When it is broken off, it leaves a pontil mark. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
HI

I am well aware of what a pontil rod is but thanks for the info anyway.  Murano Glass is our speciality and has been for some years and the pontil mark is the centre of the piece not the whole base as I am sure you are well aware.  All I am saying here is that the Chinese actually saw off a piece from the Pontil rod when fully blown and more often than not, it is actually molded not hand blown which is why the piece is sawn off to make it appear as if it has been hand blown

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »
 :) Dean - you described a bit of glass as having a pontil.   :o
I was only correcting your description.

The misuse of the word pontil to mean pontil mark is something that really, really annoys me.
I'm a bit pedantic about it. Sorry. :-[ :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »
Please can we see some bottoms too for labelled Chinese pieces  :-[

Thank you!
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »
There are quite a few glass artists from other countries that are now working with companies in China and in my estimation it is not where an item is made but by whom. Fact in point, many Italians came to the U.S. and made some of their best work in the U.S. and still continue to do so. I.E. Lino Tagliapietra and others. Dale Chihuly has had his items produced in many different countries. Several of my personal friends still work as consultants to Chinese glass companies and they are now able to get better materials for their production  better than those available in many other parts of the world.
The upcoming E.U laws concerning use of some heavy metals in the glass formulations will have a significant effect on E.U glass color in the upcoming future.
collect what you like, what you can afford, and enjoy it.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
The safety of the workers is, fortunately, taken into consideration in some places, now.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand