No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large glass plate - possibly Czech?  (Read 664 times)

Offline malwodyn

• Members
Large glass plate - possibly Czech?
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
I was struck by this stunning plate in a friend's house, and she kindly let me take a photograph.  The ruler on the left will give an indication of the size - it is 1ft/30cm long.

I could not see any indication of maker - nor was there any obvious signature.  My first thought that it is Czech, and possibly inter-war period.  The owner has only recently acquired it, and has no idea of its previous history.  Can anyone help please with an identification?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

Re: Large glass plate - possibly Czech?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:38 AM »
Hi,
Modern production technique, which appears to be a ring-less mould. Favourite for manufacture, with the coloured staining, is Waltherglas.
M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:53:48 AM »
I agree with Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:55:53 AM »
Thanks, Marcus!  I followed up the links in the Glass Encyclopaedia article on Walther Glass and found a couple of pieces that seem to have similar colouring; and can see exactly why you suggested that company were likely to have been the makers.  I shall pass on the information

Sorry the picture was so dark; it was not taken under the best conditions, and I'm still getting to grips with Irfanview....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand