No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase id needed please ....Isle of Wight?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Vase id needed please ....Isle of Wight?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »
 :-[

I've missed this - wasn't "around" last September.

Both bits are early Mdina. I'd say the big bottle was definitely within the Harris period, the first three years, I'm not so sure about the cylinder vase.

However, don't get too excited Keith, I don't think it was Michael Harris who made these. Currently, the main speculation is that it might have been Joseph Said.

That crescent shaped pit in the base is fairly common, and the cloudy patterned big bottle, although the same shape is in Mark's book as being "later", when it's that cloudy sort of pattern, I think it's more likely to be during the Harris/Boffo period.
I've seen these, in an Earthtones pattern (a very distinct one) and in a similar cloudy effect in blue (I have one with a massive stopper). That distinct Earthtones comes along with both polished and ground round pontil marks, which was something not done after Michael Harris left.

My big blue cloudy bottle has a ground round pontil mark....and a crescent shaped pit, on a fully ground base - a (when I say ground, I mean quite roughly, as opposed to polished and shiney).

Finishes on bases in the early (Harris) period were very random - it all depended on somebody being available and having time to get it done. Before they got their own polishing equipment, somebody had to cart everything off to a polishers in town.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand