No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lalique poissons bowl with VDA signature  (Read 1613 times)

Offline sir-christos

• Members
Lalique poissons bowl with VDA signature
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have a question concerning a bowl I acquired a few years ago.

It is a Lalique poissons bowl or sardines bowl as I have heard it called before with the Verrerie de Alsace, (VDA) raised signature, as opposed to the stenciled block R LALIQUE signature which I am used to seeing.

I also have a couple of other poissons/sardines bowl that are opalescent with the stencilled signature, which again is what I am used to seeing, but this is the same bowl just not opal and with the VDA signature.

The bowl is done in a transparent very, very light yellow/gold glass, looking almost like the opal type looks when lighted from underneath with very strong light and taking on that typical slightly golden glow.

Has anyone ever seen this before or have any information about this type of bowl.....I have been collecting Lalique for quite a number of years and have never seen one like this before.

It is definitely a very old piece and has slight but wonderful age wear from years of use, so I doubt it is a fake and the details and proportions are right so I also doubt it is a copy, but just in case I thought I would ask the more experienced and knowledgeable collectors on here.

I will try to get a photo posted as soon as I can.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Lalique poissons bowl with VDA signature
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »
Hi

yes I've seen a few like this over the years -Quite Ok

VDA means produced between 1921 and 1923 at the new Wingen Sur Moder factory (a deal with the French Government over reclaimed land) Your yellowy one is quite typical of the earliest versions -possions was designed in 1921 -probably for the new Wingen set up.

I've often wondered if this colour was actually failled opalescence -which would have taken some time to get right in a new factory

Cheers

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sir-christos

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
Thank you very much for the response and the information.

I was 99% sure it was real just confused about the color.

I also thought it may have been a failed attempt at the opalescent finish but wasn't sure how that was achieved until recently.

I was wondering if you had any idea as to the value of such a piece as compared with the usual opal ones??

No that I would sell it....but just curious.

Thank you again for the information...much appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
Hi

A rough guide line with  Rene Lalique holds pretty well for this

non opalescent is worth a little less than half opalescent (only real exceptions are when non opalescent is very rare or very pretty, oh and the otherway when opalescent is particularly rare and hence a real premium)

cheers

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand