No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline Glassware: Fascinating Fluorescent Beauty, Barrie Skelcher  (Read 7721 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Vaseline Glassware: Fascinating Fluorescent Beauty, Barrie Skelcher. Schiffer, 2007, ISBN 978 0 7643 2699 8

This book should be regarded as a supplement to author's previous book: The Big Book of Vaseline Glass. It constantly refers back to it; unfortunately, it also repeats the density and uranium distribution graphs but this time in each chapter and HUGE. It kind of feels as though there wasn't enough info for the agreed number of pages.

Having said that there are some useful new identified examples and some nice pictures (although fewer per spread than book 1). It will be a book I refer to but I don't feel as happy about this one as I did the previous one.

The book is rife with spelling errors, which is something I think there should be no excuse for (punctuation and grammar errors too, but that's the norm, as there is no editing budget for such productions). I feel there are items that could have been identified with a bit more research, but perhaps that's because I spend too much time reading about all sorts of glass. There are also speculations and some almost sarcasm I don't feel too happy about. Some of the captions just have too much padding.

The Bagley Grantham vase shown is actually a Stozle vase; he even said the uranium content was surprisingly low! But then the colour can't have been right either. He also said that the metal leaf holders were a Bagley "trademark;" well they are often found on Bagley items but also on Sowerby ones, so not exclusive. And I have yet to find a uranium Bagley item in a metal holder, although it's not impossible, but I have found numerous non-uranium green ones. EPNS is also referred to as silver plate; unfortunately, it contains no silver.

Do I regret buying this book? No

Am I disappointed with the book? Yes, to be honest. I feel it was produced in haste with little QC and not enough research, and that the information doesn't merit the page count.

Perhaps somebody would like to disagree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand