No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: James Hogan Molar Vase 1942 Amber  (Read 4532 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: James Hogan Molar Vase 1942 Amber
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:39:03 PM »
Hi Leni i see what you mean but the one in the catalogue the top looks narrower than the one in the book and a more pronounced  shape across the top , now i am really confused as i have a different vase that has one number in one book and another in the other book perhaps Patrick can comment . have you looked in the Jackson book Leni ?
 Kane can we have dimensions?

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
As these are hand-finished, I would allow - indeed, expect - a degree of variation such as seen in this one.  See the thread on wf.com re the difference in the neck of Sallie's Ruby and her Blue 'Molar' vases :  http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?t=3245
Leni

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 07:36:57 AM »
It is:

11cm at base (polished section)
20cm high
14cm at top x 8cm

Looks better in the sun...is golden amber...it looks like the 9249...

Hey leni...definitely not like the ones in those pics...they are more rounded...

Hope this helps... :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
Hi Kane can you go into Whitefriars.com go to catalogues punch both numbers into the search box and let us know your opinion the top of yours looks like one and the sides the other , i think i will go back to bed .     . Leni dont you dare say but thats green.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:47:14 AM »
The 9376 is beautiful in that colour...am searching for a colour pic of the 9249...i am not good with black and white...were the golden amber pieces made throughout the whole time these pieces were produced???...also...could you please recommend the best books to purchase for whitefriars glass???...thanks for the help... ;D...getting back into my glass hobby after a 4 year absence.... :hiclp:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »
Hey leni...definitely not like the ones in those pics...they are more rounded...
I didn't mean to say it was like the Molars in the WF.com discussion (although you did initially call it a Molar, which I now think we're agreed it's not ;) ) except in that I meant to indicate how hand-finished items can vary.  

And Hobbsy ... I'll deal with you, later!   >:D
Leni

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 05:42:37 AM »
I am going with 9249...although it could be 9376!!!...Confusing...i will leave this at that...LOL...unless someone can give a definite answer...LOL...

'top of yours looks like one and the sides the other '...i have to agree with this JP...which is why i am comfused...LOL...

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »
Looking again at your measurements Kane, can I change my mind and say that at 20cm (8 inches) your vase is too short to be a 9249  ::)   I don't know the measurements for a 9376 but it looks shorter to me. See here:  http://www.whitefriars.com/contents.php?ID=249 

But then again, how about a 9385?  Any takers on that?  That's meant to be 7 & 3/4 inches, which is nearer in size to your 20 cm.  Have a look here:  http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=13  Again, any difference in the neck could be down to it being hand-finished, IMHO. 
Leni

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »
Ha ha...thanks leni...even more confused...first look i said no...then also some slight similarities... :thup:...interesting to note the years ranges from the 40's to 57'...still not sure if it is a 9385... :huh:

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »
Needs some more Hogan pieces me thinks... ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum