No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 70's Junk? ID help please  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Alton11

• Members
70's Junk? ID help please
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:46 PM »
just like the way these look. especially like the flowing illusion of the orange one. wondering if anyone knew who may have made them and when?.....thnx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malwodyn

• Members
Re: 70's Junk? ID help please
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »
I'm not an expert on early Caithness paperweights, but I do have one which puzzled me for several years before I worked out that one of the pairs of initials scratched on the base was CT - Colin Terris!

I know now there is a code identifying the year of production of later weights, but I understand that this does not apply to the very earliest production.

What I'm trying to say is that both look rather "Caithness" to me, and if 70s, certainly not junk. (Well, I like them!!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
TADPOLE: Difficult to be sure, as the views are so different, and your base looks rather dark brown - but you may want to hold your weight next to the image of Fire Dance on Scotlandsglass to get the same viewing angle.

ORANGE: If looking for a comparable Caithness weight, I guess one would start with Moonflower - but your weight is not a Moonflower. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it's not Caithness - the base doesn't fit.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Alton11

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »
hard for the base color to show up on 2nd weight, it is actually a deep purple color and not brown...thnx

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:11:07 PM »
I had in mind "Moonflower" too, but held back from mentioning it if only because the colour of the base in mine is a dark orange, not the bright orange of your weight.  (I'm pretty certain that it was made in other colour ways too, but haven't got my reference book to hand.)  I haven't seen enough of the very early weights (and I probably never will) to be able to comment on the finish of the base; but I will admit that I was rather doubtful when I saw it.  I'm willing to be corrected by experts - the trouble is that if you see a weight in a museum, it's often well-nigh impossible to examine the base, even if it's displayed on a glass shelf!!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
20 variations of Moonflower are currently on SG, some have additional images of the design and two more for which images have yet to be uploaded. Possibly others in the pipeline. Compared to the 10 listed in Charlton.

We add base views, as well as other views for each item, when we get them. Always happy to receive more image sets of those currently shown as well as any not shown.

n.b. Due to a major site software upgrade updates have been on hold for 2 months.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
hard for the base color to show up on 2nd weight, it is actually a deep purple color and not brown...thnx

I have never seen an original Fire Dance - the image is a scanned print - so we cannot be sure about the "true" colour - the scanned print looks rather like dark blue, not deep purple. But what about the other parts of the design: if you hold your weight to give the view presented on Scotlandsglass - does it look like the same design?

Now for the orange weight: I may not have been sufficiently clear. It is not only the colouring, but also the size of it, or better, the shape of the profile - let me try to explain with a sketch: left = Standard Caithness weight / right = my attempt to draw a profile of a slightly ovoid weight with a comparably smaller base area (with a fair bit of imagination applied to the image given above).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
Got a couple of Moonflowers,thought it might help,not sure of their date,Keith.

Offline Alton11

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »
ur right about the bases. The orange one is much smaller, but the other is shaped as your first pic. However, the center bubble looks different? but after taking it outside into the sunlight, the base is actually a very nice blue.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »
colour adjusted

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk