No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina hollow weight  (Read 4079 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Mdina hollow weight
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
I will bow to your greater experience and knowledge of this subject,however despite it's construction its odd looking base its colour in comparison to the other pieces screams Mdina,I've been wrong so many times since joining the GMB I think I'm getting a complex!Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 06:52:29 PM »
 :-*

Don't go getting a complex  :o -  contemporary colours are often bought in by makers from the same sources, and so identical colours of pieces can come from many different makers, light can alter colour, and men and women percieve colours the same colours differently - it's very subjective, unless you can measure the exact wavelength of the colour, taking it's density into account!
I often find bits of Mdina are described as orange with green strapping, when to me, they are clearly red with blue strapping.

And it's only asking questions looking at stuff, handling it, talking about it and debating it that anybody learns.

So, the colours of this weight, which I can only see photographic images of, look to you, to be the same as early Mdina. I agree that there it must be silver salts used to get the stripey, a blobby, yellowy/grey/blue bits.

The colours at Mdina were not consistent, they changed density, they were altered by the addition of silver salts, each piece is unique.

The silver salts turned clear glass yellow, red and amethyst glass to browns, blue glass to green. Colours were layered over each other, the silver salts vapourised and got into casings giving a strange, ethereal blue cloudiness, or onto the surface giving yellowy-blue iridesence....

But the texture of the background colours isn't right in this weight - there seems to be something similar to what goes on when two incompatible enamels encounter each other, or when clear tiny pieces of glass are added over another colour.
The shape isn't right, it's far too pointy, the base isn't right, it's far too small. Not for stuff of the same period as the other bits, which are around the mid to later '70s, maybe a bit later too.
(I've not yet seen the catalogues of the early shapes, though somebody did say they'd make them available on another forum a long time ago.)

ps. Having lots of bits doesn't mean anything - I could have lots of bits of rubbish!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
Thanks Sue,have learnt more on the GMB in the last few months than in 17 years of collecting,hoping for the Mdina book for Christmas,again thanks for all the explanations(and patience)Keith.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:27 PM »
I think Sue is correct. It is very likely that this is not Mdina.

One can never be sure from an image, and sometimes not even when handling a piece, but this piece looks as if it has been made with a clear base glass, rolled in gold ruby chips (probably K2 size) and then melted in. Once the chips have been melted in, pieces of 100% pure silver leaf have been place on the surface or picked up from the marver, and then melted in. There is a reaction between the various elements that turns the gold ruby into a golden tortoiseshell and the silver leaf adopts that bluey green tint.

As Sue points out, there is a similarity to the effect gained from the incompatibility of two colours and this suggests that in fact the silver could have gone on first and then the piece could have been rolled on the gold-ruby before melting in.

While I don't recognise it, it does look quite like some of my colour tests!

;)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 12:07:58 PM »

:-* Thanks Adam, it's so good to have the benefit of your expertise on technique and methods.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 06:06:15 PM »
Many thanks,Keith

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 03:21:29 PM »
Just found this thread, Keith, im pretty sure your paperweight is not Mdina, inspired by, perhaps,
but its not right, i have a little bottle that you would think was Mdina, but again, not quite right,
(pic below) and thread  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18422.0.html

I also totally agree with Sue  on your unsigned pieces, the one non Mdina  centre of 2nd image.
Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »
Hi folks.

The discussion on the general Mdina (or not) vases has now been split out and merged as a thread in the Glass forum.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »
 :-*
Thanks very much indeed, Kev!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)