No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More glass bricks/pavement lights/ashtrays?  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: More glass bricks/pavement lights/ashtrays?
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »
Lacking the flutes for cigarettes would fit as something designed by Corbusier - his work was often severe. It would also be quite likely that he would have ashtrays in his portfolio... but finding verification. That there are so many references to this design as being his in France is not confirmation but I would be mildly surprised if so many got it wrong. There could well be a reference in one of the many books on his work.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
Or it was Charlotte Perriand who worked in the Corbusier Studio. Which would date it to pre 37. (Design if not your example)

It appears (I think) on a table here
http://www.designboom.com/history/perriand.html

and on kitchen counter here
http://designmuseum.org/design/charlotte-perriand

Lumax connection... I stick with advertising as not all so marked.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 12:54:39 AM »
Lacking the flutes for cigarettes would fit as something designed by Corbusier - his work was often severe.

There is minimal and there is too minimal.   No grooves for the cancer sticks?  Wouldn't they, erm... roll off?  And burn your house down?  This doesn't seem like good design.  ???

I can't see it in the designboom/perriand photos (the équipement intérieur d’une habitatio one?), but it does seem to be on the kitchen counter.  Speaking of kitchens, these do remind of depression-era refrigerator storage units from the US, which I have seen many nice examples of.  They are often lidded and more decorative, such as this one for sale presently at rubylane.com:

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 03:35:29 AM »
I think the Lumax pieces were used as lenses in lighting fixtures. Many older quasi-industrial fixtures used very heavy glass lenses that resemble these. I have some that were made in the US in the 30's that are similiar to these.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
I see the one on the counter (possibly) but the designbroom one, the only place that could be looks to have a cup in it - could it be a cup holder  :24:  :24: or did ladies only use dainty tea cups so they had to stick their little finger out  ;D.  Think a barrier has been hit on Lumax back to the dark green one if we may any more thoughts on that one?

Sklounion

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 06:32:54 AM »
Hi Ian,
"Vide-poche" or "cendrier", are the French eBay equivalent descriptions for "nibbles dish" or "bonbon dish":
These are english and french euphemisms for "Clueless as to their real use"
M

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:24 AM »
And in real terms "cendrier" means ashtray and "vide poche" means empty pocket or empty bag or another way of looking at it hollow pocket, something that items could be placed in which could be anything.  So in other words all 3 items on this thread are nothingness just empty wotnots :-\

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
How deep is the groove in the dark green one?  Can you stand a postcard or photograph upright in it?  A menu or wine list etc would be too thick, but a single sheet of something thinner?  If it was just a nibbles dish, then once filled, the nice groove detail would be hidden, so that doesn't quite make sense.

Your heavy #3 doesn't seem like a pavement light for the usual reason, no grooves for locking it into the cement/concrete.  It's thick enough for heavy traffic though.

These all seem too small for proper candy dishes, or nibbles dishes.  You get this sort of thing meant for dresser tops too, to hold personal items, so it's right back to vide-poche.

Sklounion, I did look up cendrier in a French dictionary and it said ashtray.  As I vault light collector I can say they get called all sorts of stuff, even insulators, but mostly "paperweight".  Not ashtray yet, tho.

What's French for "thingy"?

Hi Tom--  when are you going to find me another pavement light mold?  If I hadn't seen those Lumax dishes with all sorts of applied decoration I'd say yes, definitely could be light lenses-- but....  maybe the dreadful decorated ones are just aftermarket improvements?  I've seen clear glass insulators with little painted scenes on the outside (no sailboats yet), could just be the same thing.  Buy a case of surplus Lumax lenses cheap, slap a leather band on it and call it a desk accessory.  "Lumax" is a pretty generic sort of name and it seems to have been used several times.  Still no clear answer on this one.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »
The grove is only about 1mm deep, have tried standing a photo, card, bank card all to no avail they fall over instantly so I tried two bank cards won't fit.

Thingy lets call it something = quelquechose

Thats what it is a "something"

iknownuffink

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 01:51:41 PM »
And in real terms "cendrier" means ashtray and "vide poche" means empty pocket or empty bag or another way of looking at it hollow pocket, something that items could be placed in which could be anything.  So in other words all 3 items on this thread are nothingness just empty wotnots :-\

A 'vide poche' refers to its purpose, not shape. It is an item into which you 'vider' (= empty) your pockets. Something you might find  on a bedside table for holding loose change.

My god! perhaps I should change my name to I know sumfink!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand