No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Please, complete surprise!  (Read 3574 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: ID Please, complete surprise!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »
...doh..here they are...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »
Keith's blue stripey one is the Tiger colourway. I wonder if the unidentified ones are Mtarfa?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
I've some Mdina weights of a similar shape but that's not a colour I recognise in relation to Mdina,Keith.

I agreed with Keith - but then I saw the pictures he posted!!  My Mdina weights in this style are in a totally different colourway - will try and post pictures if this thread stays active!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this shape was actually inspired by one of the workers who came to join Michael Harris from Whitefriars.  (And it is purely personal, but I really like this shape for a paperweight - very stable, and can actually be used to hold papers in place in a draught...)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »
I don't think (note the think) that this shape of paperweight is from the Michael Harris era, although the Boffos came from WF. Keith's are deffo Mdina colourways, Earthtones and Tiger, although the standard blue with silver chloride (yellow cloudy) seem to be more common for this shape. I'll poke Sue (Chopin Liszt) and get her to have a look.

NB: Last Saturday, I picked up what I thought was a very modern Mdina fish in the classic blue and yellow, only to find a Phoenician label underneath

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »
I don't think (note the think) that this shape of paperweight is from the Michael Harris era, although the Boffos came from WF. Keith's are deffo Mdina colourways, Earthtones and Tiger, although the standard blue with silver chloride (yellow cloudy) seem to be more common for this shape.

Keith's weights are undoubtedly Mdina colourways - though probably from the post MH era.  Mine, from recollection, are the "standard blue with silver chloride" (they are packed away at present). 

I have seen a signed piece of Mdina glass in a colourway very similar to that of the photographs Fen originally posted - I didn't buy it, it was an ash tray, and I cant afford to smoke, drink and buy glass. 

So the problem is "could these be Mdina paperweights in an unusual colour, or could they have come from another studio in Malta, or are they from a third 'unknown' factory?"

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 02:16:55 PM »
Is the term 'colourway' from the Mdina glassworks or is it some thing I've just never heard of(wouldn't be the first time)Keith.

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »
Not Mdina glassworks - just a shorthand way of referring to a set of colours used together.  I haven't a clue as to where I first heard it used; I'm sure I didn't invent it!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »
Colourway is certainly standard terminology in the fashion business.  :)
I am not a man

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
Oxford Dictionary of English: any of a range of combinations of colours in which a style or design is available

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Ta all,should have checked the O.E.D,as for fashion terms,don't know Gucci from gnocchi,Keith.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand