No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Weird "Knobbly" Vase?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Another Weird "Knobbly" Vase?
« on: October 27, 2005, 08:42:34 AM »
Hello again!
Anyone seen this piece before? The vase is clear with a dark Olive green colored swirls, fading to a lighter green. Thought this might be a "knobbly" vase, but when I did the search for the term no photos came up that looked like this one.

The piece does have a inverted pontil mark (polished circle), but it is not ground flat on the bottom. I could not find a signature either. The piece is really heavy and 6 3/4" tall.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 08:47:56 AM »
It's a Whitefriars streaky knobbly Javier.   Designed (better check this bit) by William Wilson & Harry Dyer in1963 produced until 1972.

Undervalued at present IMHO, not sure why, they're just not terribly popular.
I am not a man

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:53:12 AM »
Hello Max!
Thank you so much, I really like this piece. Some of the others I have seen just seemed forced. You know what I mean? This one feels so natural and organic. Im keeping it!!! :D
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:04:29 AM »
Hello Max,  you are right.  I really love these vases especially the streaky ones as this is...can't understand why the values aren't there.  They are so heavy....... the strain on the glassblowers shoulders must have been immense!  Made with an S-shaped tool to shape the glass before being blown, no two are alike, making each one unique. And by the way Javier, Whitefriars in general never signed their glass.  When it was new, there were labels, some still exist.  Gorgeous piece and looks in fabulous condition.   Emmi

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:24:43 PM »
Why do some people refer to these Knobbly vases as End Of Day glass?

I once saw a knobbly vase with symetrical knobbly bits all the way round and green and purple streaks. I've never seen one like it before and I think it must have taken great skill to shape it with such perfection.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 07:59:42 PM »
The Whitefriars knobbly vases are definitely NOT end of day pieces. The colours were specifically controlled.  They came in Streaky Green, Streaky Brown,Marine(streaky blue and green) as well as a full range of plain cased colours, and some full lead crystal colours.  They were also made in specific sizes and shapes, so whilst each piece has an individuality about it, it does not in any way fall into the "end of day" category of glass, which I feel is a rather derogatory term for such quality glass.

In addition the Whitefriars knobblys are an entire catalogued range, so can hardly be considered end of day methinks!

As you can see I am very passionate about Whitefriars.  But I'm off my soap box now!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand