No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rowland Ward Etched Crystal Glasses  (Read 20241 times)

Offline wpitcher

• Members
Rowland Ward Etched Crystal Glasses
« on: October 24, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »
While I was temporarily posted in Nairobi, Kenya in the fall of 1970, I purchased a set of glassware
which came in sets of 6 - each glass engraved with a different animal.  I purchased sets of 8 and
told them I didn't care which duplicates they included.  Since I couldn't take them with me, they shipped
them to me in Monrovia, Liberia.  Included was a brochure that if there was any broken or damaged
pieces, circle the picture on the front of the brochure and they would replace them free of charge.
I believe I paid about $5.00 per glass at the time.  Since then, we had moved around the world and
lost a few pieces. I had always tried to find a way to replace them to no avail.
The brochure listed the mailing address as:
Rowland Ward (E.A.), Limited
PO Box 991
Nairobi, Kenya, Est Africa

I assume from reading your website, that these are no longer being made.  I was pretty sure that
when I opened the package back then that they were made in West Germany.  Any comments?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Rowland Ward Etched Crystal Glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 07:59:29 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. Have you already found our earlier discussion about Rowland Ward here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,662.0.html - it has some info and an offer of catalogue scans which might be helpful.

Could you post some photos of your glasses here as that might help run down a maker as well. We have help for posting pics in the Help forum here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline miniford

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
I too had a set of this glassware but am now down to one!  I would love to be able to replace them.  They were purchased in 1968-69 in Nairobi in the New Stanley Hotel showroom.  A magazine article I have refers to them as Rowland Ward's Big Game glassware, made in Bavaria.  I even called the hotel last year, but they never did come up with anything.  I've pretty much given up hope!

Offline Mr ED

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
I have a set of the glassware you refer to. I purchased my glassware in Nairobi, Kenya in June/August of 1979. The glassware comes in Clear & Ruby with various Big Game animals etched into the glass. Hence "Big Game Collection".
They were purchased from Rowland Ward LTD., (East Africa), City House, Nairobi, Kenya. They were made in Western Germany (Bavaria). I had them shipped to the U.S.
I have quite a collection from tumblers, water goblets, decanter, tankard, wines, punch bowl, & water jug, some in clear & some in ruby. All are in mint condition. The street value is approx. $4000.00.
They might be for sale as one unit.

Offline bryan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:12 AM »
I am interested in the Rowland Ward collection of etched crystal illustrating African big game.  Of particular interest is the beer mugs, glassware and water jug.  Any help in putting me on a path to locate would be helpful.  Thanks, Bryan.

Offline Mr ED

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »
I am interested in the Rowland Ward collection of etched crystal illustrating African big game.  Of particular interest is the beer mugs, glassware and water jug.  Any help in putting me on a path to locate would be helpful.  Thanks, Bryan.

Bryan; I have what you need, although I only have 1 (one) Beer Stein/Tankard. All are in mint condition.

ED

Offline André de Jager

• Members
    • South Africa
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
Hi everyone interested in Rowland Ward Edged Crystal Glasses depicting wildlife.

Our collection of the following is for sale:
5x Liqueur
6x Sherry
3x Beer Tankards
5x Wine
6x Water
3x Cognac
1x large Water Jug
1x Wine Decanter

All items are in perfectly good health with the exception of the wine decanter which has a chip on its lip.

Queries or further information is welcome as is a realistic offer on this beautiful collection, should you be interested.

This collection was purchased from Rowland Ward, Nairobi in 1969. I can send pictures of the collection on request.

Regards

André

Offline verasomen

• Members
    • Glassware
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 10:00:08 PM »
Hi everyone interested in Rowland Ward Edged Crystal Glasses depicting wildlife.

Our collection of the following is for sale:
5x Liqueur
6x Sherry
3x Beer Tankards
5x Wine
6x Water
3x Cognac
1x large Water Jug
1x Wine Decanter

All items are in perfectly good health with the exception of the wine decanter which has a chip on its lip.

Queries or further information is welcome as is a realistic offer on this beautiful collection, should you be interested.

This collection was purchased from Rowland Ward, Nairobi in 1969. I can send pictures of the collection on request.

Regards

André

Not sure how to reply. Am interested in Rowland Ward wine glasses. Please send photos of wine glasses if still available. I presume you will reply here.
vera somen

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 04:49:56 PM »
Roland Ward, England & Kenya (established late 19th Century)
The Rowland Ward company made its name in the late 19th & early 20th Centuries as taxidermists. Responding to demand, the company expanded into actually arranging African safaris, & retailing (from shops in London & Nairobi) all kinds of goods relating to big-game hunting. The labels below were both on the same set of drinking-glasses, which were engraved with African animals. These particular glasses were made in West Germany, but they were probably also sourced from Bohemia

Offline Janey b

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 02:58:19 AM »
I have the big game series- 8 wine glasses, 4 tumblers and one water pitcher.  I have no idea of a fair market price? Any suggestions.?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand