No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Arts Crafts ?? Green glass in Copper Bowl (poss Daum?)  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Arts Crafts ?? Green glass in Copper Bowl (poss Daum?)
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »
Ive been meaning to get this little bowl on here for ages, its  opaque green glass encased
in Copper, 5 flowery shape holes where the glass squeezes out.
Copper is nicely applied, the rim folded , all tooled to grip the glass tightly.
Not sure how it was made, i presume blown into the copper.
Its about 5 inches wide, 3 1/2 inches tall.
I think the glass has been acid etched . Pontil mark. No makers mark.

Now on ebay , ive found this,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180422388878&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Signed Daum, it has many similarities, glass,textuer and base very similar, could mine be Daum? Its selling well :o
What thinks the panel??
Cheers
Andy
 ;D

PS forgot to ask, I havent tried cleaning this one yet, should i polish the Copper????
Just been googling the Daum 'majorelle' connection, the glass in mine is fairly boring,
no inclusions or anything, and it all appears to be wrought iron,
so i feel its unlikely, maybe mines a copy from similar period?
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Arts Crafts ?? Green glass in Copper Bowl (poss Daum?)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
No that is not by Majorelle but there have been contemporaries who used the same technique. On top of that, blowing into a cage has been done in the fifties in Denmark, in the seventies in Spain and in recent years in India, so you may have a tough job ahead figuring this one out.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »
There is a nice piece of Majorelle blown in a cage on ebay , finishes in about three hours , fully signed .

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
Thanks Ivo,
i get a little voice nagging me on this one, that it may have been made neare the end of
the 20thC rather than the 19th C. !  ;)
JP, i saw the one on ebay, thats the link in my first post  ;D wakey wakey  :-*
Andy

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales

Offline pwayne

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 12:21:51 AM »
Hi Andy, This is one of mine along the same lines as yours, this dates to around 1900 and is a Loetz creta papillon blown into a copper "cobral ware" mount which is stamped into the bottom and also marked regd and patent.
 It might not help in identifying yours but it pushes back the time frame to before the Daum Majorelle pieces and shows a similarity of form, so you never know it might be older than you think.
The green oxidisation (verdigris) build up around the holes looks about the same as on this Loetz piece when it arrived, i washed it of with soapy water and a wooden toothpick as best i could. My advice is don't polish the copper.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »
Thanks Ivo,
i get a little voice nagging me on this one, that it may have been made neare the end of
the 20thC rather than the 19th C. !  ;)

Probably close!
There are at least two studios who do this sort of work very well, but I don't recognise it as a piece from those.

But there also seems to have been a revival among gift trade companies commissioning in volume from overseas.
For those who have seen the Majorelle piece linked above, I'd be more than a little careful about assuming that any piece you see at a car-boot or similar is old and valuable because it has some kind of metal framework around it. While it may turn out to be a gem, more often than not it is likely to be the reverse. If you are taking a punt for a fiver and like the piece then that's fine, because you may end up keeping it for ever! But there are a lot of bear-traps out there, so watch your pennies! :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »
Thanks everyone,
Wow Wayne  :o
Slight difference in quality between your piece and mine!
I bought it from a man at a little fair, who bought it from a lady who finds pieces for film sets, who bought it from a car boot, it seems to have trouble finding a permanant home :cry:
It hasnt got much going for it, so i think its going to move on again soon.

Cheers
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand