No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium spill vase ID required please. - ID = Edward Moore c 1885  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
Hello

It's 10½" tall and is uranium glass.  Any further information I hope to know from a kind fellow member.

Thanks in advance,
Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Uranium spill vase ID required please.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »
Edward Moore c 1885, comes in yellow uranium as well. More likely just a vase; it's  bit large for spills.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Uranium spill vase ID required please.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:36:57 AM »
Christine — Surely back then spills were whatever length they were made.   Spill planes (how they were made) produce a tight spiral of whatever length you wish, only dependent on the length of the scrap wood you use.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
Re: Uranium spill vase ID required please. - ID = Edward Moore c 1885
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:05:58 AM »
Thank you, Chritine & Bernard (probably forevermore!)

I am new to all this, but this would look quite ribbish with flowers in it.  To me, so far, spills have a look which describes their use.  I suppose this might have been a vase kept in the way I am keeping it - just to look at for itself - as it doesn't have any water staining at all.

Thank you again - really appreciated, as ever.  Have a lovely Sunday (I won't - I have to drive to London in the pouring rain!   :))
Stuart & Emma Taylor.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
Personally I think you would have to have an awful lot of very long spills for this container and only be able to use them once or twice before you no longer extract them. Remember using vases for cut flowers is a actually relatively modern concept. Mostly they were just ornaments for display, often in pairs or as part of a garniture. As a woman, a small spill vase with a few spills would be acceptable. Something this big would not. I actually have a yellow one, so I know how big it is

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:34:05 PM »
What makes a spill vase different from any other vase? What are we spilling? Are we crying over it?

Carolyn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
Spills as in http://www.roll-ups.co.uk/ishop/879/shopscr4871.html They often used to be kept in a small vase on the mantlepiece so cigarettes, cigars, pipes and candles could be lit from the fire

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 01:41:23 AM »
Ohhhhhhh!!!!  :chky: Another day, another lesson learned  :kissy:

Thanks muchly.

Carolyn

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:13 AM »
See Spill Planes.   Mine is like the one bottom left, bought as a "plane" for a pound or two some years ago at a car boot, but I've never been able to produce anything like the beautiful spill shown at the bottom of the page.

I've never seen these spills in regular use.   My memories are:

Middle class home with children of the '50s:

Bought coloured spills were used for transferring flame from gas ring to another gas ring or to the oven.   Also sometimes for lighting a laid coal fire.

Working class home with children of the '30s (my grandparents, experienced as a child in the '50s):

No bought spills.    All newspaper was either torn up into squares and put on the hook in the outside (and freezing cold) toilet, or rolled up tightly and used as spills for all purposes.   If there was already a flame in the room adults used a newspaper spill, not a match.   Children were not allowed to handle fire.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:44:38 AM »
That must be the Mother of all spills.  It must be quite nerve-wracking halfway through, like peeling an apple in one go.  Quite good fun, I imagine.  I will definitely look out for a plane.

My Edward Moore could look just the ticket with spills this size.  I imagine that a very well-to-do house would require the largest of spill vases and the largest of spills held within, purely as a statement of luxury, for their guests to use.  I imagine a pair of these on the mantle in the drawing room of a very large house would not look out of place...?  The only thing missing would be the spills for lighting one's cigar from the fire.  OK, so the other missing item would be the large brandy!

Spill or otherwise, I really like it.  I just wish someone could ID the other pair of spills I submitted recently! 

:) :angel: :)

Stuart & Emma Taylor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand