No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id please for small milk/creamer  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id please for small milk/creamer
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »
really don't know what to think of this one.  colour is a shade of rich deep citron  -  and the smallish pontil mark has been left sharp after snapping.   Size is about 8 cms. by about 8 cms.    I thought at first it might glow under the torch, but nothing doing, unfortunately, and the base wear is lighter than I wud have liked to see.   I can't find the recent post describing the applying of handles  -  and this one I think is started at the bottom, and finished at the top (or is it the other way round?).   Needless to say nothing in the way of marks, and I am thinking it was designed as a milk or cream jug.    Not the sort of colour I remember seeing previoulsy, outside of Annagelb or some of the U. glass pieces, although having said that I have been informed recently that Venetian glass from the mid C19 is sometimes this colour, although they wud be of a finer glass, and this piece is quite thick and chunky.
My thoughts are that it is either second half Victorian period, or very recent and pretending to be something old.     Wud be very grateful for anyone's thoughts, and thanks for looking.    Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malwodyn

• Members
Re: id please for small milk/creamer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »
Have you tried an Ultra-Violet light on it?  Sometimes glass of this colour contains Uranium.

Handle looks relatively modern.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
this was my first thought, bearing in mind the colour  -  but as you can see from my original notes, unfortunately it didn't react.   I use a very good qualitity smart water u.v. torch, so had there been any appreciable u. present, then wud have imagined I might have seen the glow.   I have not, however, put a counter over it.   It is indeed an unusual colour.     Paul S. 

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
Sorry Paul; I was it a bit of a hurry to post my reply, and didn't read your post as carefully as I should have done.  It is very unlikely that anything in the glass could be shielding the UV rays, so we must assume that the Uranium content is negligible. Certainly it is not worth testing with a Geiger counter.

Which leaves us with traditional methods of assessment.  The handle looks lateish (i.e. not a "pump-handle").  Do you think there is much lead in the glass?  The shape could have been made anywhere, though England is as likely as not. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
sorry malwodyn - I seem to be about a month late on this one.   In truth I had temporarily given up the quest on this one - so many other things in the melting pot.    In recent weeks I have seen another piece similar to this one, so maybe someone is out there making them as we speak ;D     On reflection, I think that there is too little base wear for any substatial age, and I don't think that the broken pontil is proof enough on its own.    As you say, cud have been made anywhere, and until I have reason to think otherwise, I wll put it down to being modern.   Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand