No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed please - does anyone recognise this glass dish?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Re: Help needed please - does anyone recognise this glass dish?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »
Thanks for the link - sorry for not getting back sooner.  From what I read I'm not sure if this is sun-purpled as this piece appears much more of a delicate shade - perhaps it was only in direct sunlight for a shorter length of time?  I've spent ages trying to get an photo of the colour and this latest link may give you a better idea of what I mean by the pink tint esp if you look at the left handle.  BTW I put 2 pieces in the background to give a better contrast - the one on the right I've identified as a piece by FIDENZA but apart from it being Italian and a copy of a SKLO design (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong) I know very little else.  The 2nd piece is just a bowl that came with this piece - flower decoration - no marks - quite boring I think but if anyone does recognise it as a undiscovered masterpiece don't be afraid to correct me.  Thanks for all the help.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm63/philippad2005/glassvase4.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:50:22 PM »
Hmmm I see what you mean, on my screen it looks more salmon than lavender, so probably not sun-purpled. To pick up colours properly they need to be on a pure white background though, as the black can affect the way we see the clear/tinted piece. 

The Fidenza vase has been discussed elsewhere on the board, (Search will find you the topics) but please post your other bowl as a separate topic with pics of side and base and we may be able to pin that down for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 06:14:53 AM »
They all look pink, so it must be a reflection! Sun purpling in the UK is rarely purple, more often a dirty grey, so a pinkish tint is still probably sun purpling. We just don't get enough UV here for purple and it takes many years to achieve grey! As Anne says white background and daylight...

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »
Finally I've managed to get outside and get a photo (against a white background).  Does it help any?  Ive also posted two other items that came with the same dish that need identifying (as suggested outside with white background) - all three together might give a clue to the date of this piece.  On a different subject and maybe a stupid question but why is Fidenza of so little value?  Looks good to me (even though it is a copy) - was it so mass produced that there are simply thousands in circulation?  Thanks Sean
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm63/philippad2005/glassdish1.jpg

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
That sure looks like sun-purpling now! In daylight against a white background it's unmistakable.  Age-wise, I'd be looking at 1930s-1940s, but as to who, still no idea as many glassmakers made similar style pieces. A trawl of Pamela's catalogues on www.glas-musterbuch.de will bring up some examples made in Europe, but others came from the USA and the UK, so it's a bit suck it and see.

Re Fidenza, I've seen some of these vases too (marked Italy) and some have looked OK and others looked pretty ropey to be honest, They are mass-produced and that combined with the poor finishing I've seen on some (rough seams and base) will affect how un/desirable they are.  They look great with flowers in but I'd not necessarily want to collect them as decorative pieces. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 10:09:58 PM »
Much better picture. I haven't been able to track down this pattern, though I've found several similar. The piece strikes me as an American colonial-type sugar bowl made c 1900 (give or take a decade or so). It just has the look. I could be very wrong, though, so am open to arguments.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
Hi.  Should I list this on ebay?  How much and how.  How can I list it through GMB.  I have my own listing (philippad2005) but would like to list this through GMB.  Thanks Sean

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »
I wouldn't list it on eBay until I knew what it is. I think you would be wasting your listing fees. Give it some time. Your piece won't be a huge money earner, so there is no hurry.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 07:30:01 AM »
After much trailing through the catalogues (thanks for the link Anne) - I found this in the 1935 VLG.  It's not exact but pretty close.  What does anyone think?  Thanks
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm63/philippad2005/glassbowl-1.jpg

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
Good sleuthing. They do look very much alike.  :)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand