No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Inherited a paperweight collection  (Read 4804 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Inherited a paperweight collection
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
The mushroom does look a slightly different shape close up,see pic's,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »
......and the base finish is completely different,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 07:24:46 AM »
You certainly have some interesting and possibly "valuable" Caithness ones. I'm using valuable loosely here. Perhaps you ought to check the bottoms of the others.

The mushroom is more Avondale like I think

Offline theglassnut

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »
quote from ALAN,
 Hi nut  ;)

it's a strange wee thing. there's no clear glass, it's solid colour all the way round. i'm guessing the millefiori is only painted on and there are no markings on it anywhere. but here are some photos anyway.  :)

HI ALAN, the central cane looks like an ysart stone and is certainly not painted on. i have seen a similar weight recently that was an ysart.
kevh is a far better man than i on ysart weights i will leave it up to him...
kindest regards theglassnut...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 10:53:50 PM »
The small weight (IMG_4246/7/9) is a type that I have not seen before. It is the neatly formed pulled yellow canes over "black" surface that is new to me. Those canes seem to be three-ring "bullseye", which is not a Scottish cane form that I am aware of. And although the central millefiori canes are very much like Scottish "cog canes", I cannot say for sure that they are - or are not.

There were small 'weights' made by Vasart Ltd as attachments to bar items, car gear shifts etc. I have also seen a couple of very small items that were surface decorated (i.e. no clear glass over the basic design). But Alan's item does not look like any of those I have seen.

However, just because I have not seen something like this one, does not mean it is not Scottish. But I would be surprsied if it was shown to be by and of the Ysart men.
KevinH

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56:09 AM »
I am not really into paperweights so I tend to overlook when I buy glass. However, images 4246,4247 & 4249 is absolutely beautiful. I would snatch that up. Only a small amount of millefiori and black and yellow colour is superb.  :thup:

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
ALAN, threre is a weight in photo, IMG_4221 just to the right of the green mdina with the knob on top, it has what looks to be orange and black around the outside with a central cane. could you post a close up pic, it might be interesting!
Hi nut  ;)

it's a strange wee thing. there's no clear glass, it's solid colour all the way round. i'm guessing the millefiori is only painted on and there are no markings on it anywhere. but here are some photos anyway.  :)

The photographs you have posted remind me of a very early Caithness weight I've got - will have to dig it out.  Now that theglassnut has suggested there is an Ysart cane in it, it seems you might have something very interesting!

Offline alan2001

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
It is the neatly formed pulled yellow canes over "black" surface that is new to me. Those canes seem to be three-ring "bullseye", which is not a Scottish cane form that I am aware of.
hello again. here's some more information and photos of this one.

it's only 45mm in diameter. the yellow stripes on the outside are marginally wider than the black stripes, giving it a ridged feel around the circumference. (sorry, but there's just no way of wording that without it sounding rude.  :mrgreen: )

the last photo shows more clearly how the millefiori circle is offset from the centre of the weight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand