No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hoffman cigarette box? And two Bohemian cordials? Help!  (Read 1315 times)

Offline adriana

• Members
Hoffman cigarette box? And two Bohemian cordials? Help!
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:08:51 PM »
Hello everyone~
I think this might be a Hoffman cigarette box, but I'm unable to find a mark anywhere.  It's 2 1/2" tall and 2 1/4" wide and features an English riding scene.  Can anyone help me with a definitive ID?  Also, I have these cordials which I am fairly certain are Austro-Bohemian in origin, but I wouldn't mind an ID on them either!
Thanks in advance,
Adriana

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Hoffman cigarette box? And two Bohemian cordials? Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
Can you post your cordials in a separate thread please. That way the answers don't get confused.

Can we see your box side on and from the base please. Is it in two parts? Doesn't strike me as being Hoffmann and if it was, it wouldn't be an English riding scene!!!! Is it moulded or intaglio cut?

And when you post your cordials can we have dimensions and a close up of the gilding. Are they engraved as well?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »
The box looks very typical Hoffmann production, but I can't seem to find it in the 1927 catalogue here:
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Hoffmann-1927.25.0.html Could be a later item or possibly from another maker

I wouldn't worry too much about the scene, Hoffmann made some very English looking pieces. I have had some nice marked pieces with a very English looking Hunting scene

Offline adriana

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
Can you post your cordials in a separate thread please. That way the answers don't get confused.

Can we see your box side on and from the base please. Is it in two parts? Doesn't strike me as being Hoffmann and if it was, it wouldn't be an English riding scene!!!! Is it moulded or intaglio cut?

And when you post your cordials can we have dimensions and a close up of the gilding. Are they engraved as well?

I'll be happy to post more pics of my box.  Sorry about the combined questions.  On the eBay P&G board we like to combine so threads don't get pushed off the page!

Offline adriana

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »
The box looks very typical Hoffmann production, but I can't seem to find it in the 1927 catalogue here:
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Hoffmann-1927.25.0.html Could be a later item or possibly from another maker

I wouldn't worry too much about the scene, Hoffmann made some very English looking pieces. I have had some nice marked pieces with a very English looking Hunting scene

Thank you for posting that catalogue page~I am sometimes amazed at the references people have!  I am a little concerned about the lack of a mark.  Were all Hoffman pieces marked?  Should there be two pieces?  Is it a cigarette holder?  Thanks for taking the time to look at my stuff :) 

Here are some additional pictures.  Both sides and top and bottom.  And I'm not sure if it's moulded.  How can I tell?  There are no mould marks.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
It looks too sunny to be in Britain. ;D

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:10:42 PM »
No doesn't look like there should be two pieces. I would call it it cigarette holder rather than a box; a box being something with a lid. It could also be a cardholder (as in visiting cards) I suppose

Offline adriana

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:14:45 PM »
It looks too sunny to be in Britain. ;D

John

ha, that was funny!  I'm in Oregon in the US, and it's cloudy here quite a bit also!

Offline adriana

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »
I really don't want to be a pest, but I want to see if I could safely attribute the cigarette holder to Hoffman.
Thank you!

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
I think at this point the consensus is that you can't quite yet. Sometimes it can take a while to get a definitive identification.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand