No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with id please on Mdina coloured wt.  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
help with id please on Mdina coloured wt.
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »
had forgotten this item till today  -  the colours look like some of the Mdina colours I see, although admit I'm not a Mdina collector.   60mm wide  x  47mm high, and the quality I think is fairly good, although quite prepared to hear that it is Chinese.  Am I right in thinking the holes in the bases of wts. are vent holes??   Grateful if someonw cud spare a moment to look at these pics.  thanks   Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
Re: help with id please on Mdina coloured wt.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »
Hi there.

Looks a definite Mdina to me.

And not sure what you mean by 'holes'.

If it's the mark in the centre of the base, that could be what's left of the pontil mark after the base has been cut and the pontil (almost) ground out.   There's another recent chain on the GMB about pontils.

Cheers.

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »
I'd agree,Mdina,does this look familiar?

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:29:10 AM »
Some paperweights were actually made with a hole in the base - those that are blown as hollow weights were made that way, but the hole was always covered with a small section of glass or possibly a plug of some kind.

The part of the base of other weights that may look like a hole is simply clear glass. It is the part of the first gather of clear glass that is "hidden" by the punty iron when the outer colour is added, but which becomes visible after the weight is cracked off the punty.

Or is that not what was meant by the "holes in the base of weights"?
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:17 PM »
thanks to everyone for their replies, and my apologies if the terminology was a little unclear.   There is a small hole (abut 1 - 1.5mm) in the centre of the base, and I'm assuming from Keith's comments that this is the remainder of of the pontil mark.  I will look again this evening.   Thanks for the confirmation of Mdina, and this wt. is starting to grow on me now - I will certainly keep it.   Were the wts. not signed like so many of the other Mdina pieces that I see with the a signature?    cheers    Paul S.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
Not an expert on Mdina but it seems some are signed some have stickers some neither,have included pic's of two similar weights one unmarked the other with label and signature,Keith.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:05:17 PM »
thanks again Keith  -  although must admit that had I seen yur most recent pics. I wud not have automatically thought of Mdina.   They are however, attractive.   Whilst in a charity shop lunchtime i picked up a Mdina (signed wt.) which I'm sure you will know  -  it is the type which looks a little like the knight from a chess set.  i.e. the horses head atop the ball wt.   I was hoping to get it cheaply, but the assistant saw the signature and said she wud have to get it valued  -  so I guess I might not end up with it.   cheers    Paul S.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »
They are very common and it should not be too much although some charity shops tend to overcharge for some reason,more pic's included,Keith.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand