No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help to decypher neodymium ash tray signature.  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
help to decypher neodymium ash tray signature.
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »
always seems a bit 'tacky' collecting ash trays  -  but was offered a few on the cheap today.   Did you know for example that the main Cancer Charity Shop (understandably I suppose) are not permitted to sell these items.   Am thinking this one is Neodymium, but didn't realize there was a code (or whatever) on the underside until this evening - as shown in the pic., which I think reads B 2544, and the fours certainly look continental in their style.   The piece has a lot of wear on both the top and bottom, but I hesitate to put a date on it.  Diameter is about 145 cms, and very free form in its looks.   Wud grateful for anyone's advice on the on the code and age please, and thanks for looking.   Cheers     Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
Re: help to decypher neodymium ash tray signature.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »
This may be no help at all but that is exactly how the french write their numbers I agree it is B2544 and I also have baccarat with the numbers etched as that is - did they code theirs with a letter prior to the numbers.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »
thanks for your input Margi  -  don't think however, that this is an example of etching - more like an engraving/scratching with diamond point, wudn't you agree?   But what surprises me is that something like a humble ashtray shud be treated as tho it were some piece of 'haute couture' glass.  sorry if the expression is slightly inaccurate.    Paul S.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
But what surprises me is that something like a humble ashtray shud be treated as tho it were some piece of 'haute couture' glass

:o

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »
o.k. so it means literally something to do with dress making I believe -  but for us Brits. is has come to acquire a sort of colloquial general meaning implying a 'one off' or something of 'special quality'.   yes/no??

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:39:19 AM »
oh  -  and correctly I shud have said  "an humble........"     ;)sorry     Paul S.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:54:53 AM »
I think what Kane was " :o"ing over was your suggestion that there was anything wrong with this rather nice piece of glass.  :)

What does everyone think of the writing? Looks like standard European figures to me.

Obviously neodymium suggests Czech, but we need someone who knows their Czech glass to confirm that and to decypher the code.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:18:39 AM »
What does everyone think of the writing? Looks like standard European figures to me.
Obviously neodymium suggests Czech, but we need someone who knows their Czech glass to confirm that and to decypher the code.

I don't have that association at all - for me it could be Swedish or French. The Czechs which might be guilty are Moser - who really make cut glass, not oven ready items, or ZBS and Desna - who are not in the habit of signing anything.  A four digit number preceded by a B might point at Strömbergshyttan - except you'd expect the preceding letter to be the A for Askfat (ashtray) not the B for Blomvase (flower vase).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
thanks Cathy - think we wud all agree that the origin is European  -  but for those of us who live in this neck of the woods, we do try to make the differentiation between Europe (meaning anything from the Iberian penninsular in the west - to almost Russia in the east - and taking in the good old U.K.).    However, us Brits tend to call the mainland of Europe (excluding the U.K. 'the Continent of Europe  -  or for short 'the continent')   In the U.K. we do not write 'fours' as show on this piece.   The 'fours' you can see correspond much more to how the these particular figures are written on 'the continent'.   Apologies if I seemed a little less than enthusiastic about the ashtray  -  I certainly like Neodymium, but it was the fact that it was an ashtray that perhaps put me off.   I smoked for many years  (and not just after sex) and know how horrible the habit can be.   In my mind I had a feeling of either French or Czech, but I bow to the experts knowledge and suspect I may well be wrong.   I appreciate that you like the piece - certainly more than me,  and if you lived 'around the corner' I wud give it to you.   Paul S.        P.S.  I shall be absent in Wales (this is not on the Continent ;), now until Sunday.  see you all then.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »
To my mind it doesn't look like neodymium, the shade of lilac looks wrong. Have you checked it? If it is neodymium, Murano is another area to rule in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand