No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: clear cased opal with asbestos applique - ID = Oldrich Lipa / Karlovarske sklo  (Read 12691 times)

Offline dirk.

• Members
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: clear cased opal with asbestos applique
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 07:44:22 PM »
Another thought. About one and a half year ago I saw an ebay
auction of  a piece containing a similar structured inclusion like
your item. It was described as Gralglas. Do you think, that would
an option?
BTW there´ll finally be book on Gralglas this autumn.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: clear cased opal with asbestos applique
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
It would be wonderful if it were Koloman Moser - but I've not seen it confirmed anywhere and yes, I've looked.... The e-bay piece is very close in colour, make and structure and I'm tempted to believe.
Gral is an option too, it would explain the modern looks - and I'm looking forward to seeing a book on Gral. Most exciting!

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: clear cased opal with asbestos applique-ID = Lipa Karlovarske Sklo
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »
I was just browsing Czechoslovak Glass Review 1969.12 and by chance found this exact bowl (and matching vase) illustrated, attributed to the Czech glass designer Oldrich Lipa, for Karlovarske Sklo. That attribution took a while!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Great news - except now trying to figure out who Karlovarské Sklo is.
Is it true what they say here - that it is Moser under another name?

http://www.artnet.com/Artists/ArtistHomePage.aspx?artist_id=651078&page_tab=Bio_and_links

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Lipa certainly worked for Moser as a designer during that time (1955-1981), according to Moser's own book. And Moser also had a Karlovy Vary glass works. That sounds like yes to me. I'll read in more detail later.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Hi all,
I would not be so sure with Lípa attribution.
Yes Ivo, Moser A.G. was nationalised also in 1945 and for some times the name Karlovarske sklo n.p. was used. Later we can see Karlovarske sklo - Moser n.p, now only Moser again.

To be absolutely sure that this piece was designed by Lípa and for Karlovarske I would reccomend to send pictures to Moser customer service.
Moser has all catalogues from Karlovarske and will be able to attribute it exactly.

Please send us a product photo and a shot of the company’s logo on the bottom of the product at
customerservice@moser-glass.com

I would still see this issue opened.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I've sent the article Robert found and a photograph of the vases to Moser and will let you know the outcome.
 :hi: :hi:

Offline BLUE HARVEST

• Members
bOBA is correct. It is an Oldrich Lipa Offhand glass vase for Carlsbad glass -circa 1969.
Though, from memory,  I think the one pictured in the CGR is actually a candlestick. The bowl might have been on one of the front cover's.

Offline bOBA

• Members
Thanks Blue Harvest! Hopefully our opinions will be backed up by Moser when they reply. Your memory served you well regarding the images in Czechoslovak Glass Review, it was a candle holder (and tall vase) in the image I have. The flowers in the candleholder obscured the function, at a glance I thought it was the GMB bowl, but I was concentrating more on the pattern matching Ivo's bowls!! Hopefully Moser will corroborate the Lipa attribution. There are some slight differences between the CGR image and Ivo's bowl but I still feel the pattern is a match and that the differences are only a matter of hand made production variability. It will amaze me if Moser think otherwise.... I too sent the images to them, before I posted the attribution, we shall see what they say in due course,

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand