No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1920s/30s Ribbed/Footed Green Bowl - Possibly British  (Read 993 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
1920s/30s Ribbed/Footed Green Bowl - Possibly British
« on: November 18, 2009, 04:41:05 PM »
A green bowl with vertical optic ribbing, quite raised on the outside - almost like fluting - and much softer to the inside of the bowl. The ribs end at the top rim with a counter-clockwise twist.

The applied foot is plain green glass and has a very short 'stem'. It's finished to the base with a slightly off-centre and slighty irregular polished pontil mark. It also has a huge amount of base-wear.

It's 120mm / 4.75" tall and 195mm / 7.75" in diameter.

The colour bears a resemblance to early Whitefriars colours, although it doesn't appear to be from their stable. The goodly folk at the WF boards have suggested Stuart and S&W as possible contenders. The design certainly feels 1920s - 1930s.

Any comments and thoughts gratefully received.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: 1920s/30s Ribbed/Footed Green Bowl - Possibly British
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »
Nic — Tricky.   You might add Webb and even Walsh to that list of possibles.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
I gave up a long long time ago on the idea of my requests being anything other than tricky and generally unanswerable!  ;D

I scoured Reynolds prior to posting, but I didn't spot anything terribly similar in the pattern books. Unfortunately I don't have any other books on my shelf that deal with 20th Century British glass in any depth (I'm still awaiting delivery of the new Hajdamach) so I can't search out any of the other contenders.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 02:34:19 AM »
Nic — Reynolds was and is brilliant, as it lifted Walsh into the premier league of unmarked glass attribution possibilities.   But knowledge is improving all the time, with much more recognised as Walsh.   Some of the more recent discoveries are in Gulliver, which I think you would find useful, despite its title, as there is a fair amount of early C20 content.

Bernard C.  8)   
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Bernard. I'll see if I can pick up a cheap copy after Christmas - the prices on Amazon UK are a little too ::) for me at the moment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand