No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID'ing a quality millefiori paperweight, please.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Help ID'ing a quality millefiori paperweight, please.
« on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
Recentlly found this lovely paperweight and would love to know more about it, so any help most gratefully appreciated.

TIA,
Della
xx
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Help ID'ing a quality millefiori paperweight, please.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »
Hi Della

I'm pretty sure it is a Vasart weight.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »
Hi Della and Alan

I second Vasart - The roughly ground pontil and the canes set high are the ground are typical

Best regards

Derek

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »

Most grateful thanks, Alan and Derek  ;D

Do you possibly have an indication of date? (Not being a pw person and totally ignorant).

TIA
Della
xx
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:29:48 PM »
Hi Della

Vasart were only in production from 1956 to 1965 so thats quite a narrow timeframe.

Best regards

Derek

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »
Sorry folks, but we need to be more specific when referring to "Vasart". It could mean Ysart Brothers (Vasart) [1946-1956] or Vasart Ltd. [1956 to 1964].

It's rather like the generic references to "Ysart" that can seen in books, eBay and elsewhere - which could actually mean any of: Paul Ysart [in four periods of pre-war, post-war-to1962, Caithness years, Harland period (three sub-periods)] or Salvador Ysart [pre-war, Ysart Brothers (Vasart)], or even Vasart Ltd [because Vincent Ysart was running the show until 1965].

Derek's dating shows that he is thinking of Vasart Ltd. However ...

... This weight shows features that could set it in either of the earlier or later "Vasart" periods. The only way I know to decide a date for a weight like this one is to view it under shortwave uv. Longwave uv (blacklight) will show it as a green colour for both periods and is therefore no help.

Because of the overall look and the base finishing, I doubt the weight is as late as the Strathearn years (1965 to 1980) but the continued use of Vasart (or "Ysart") canes in those years makes it difficult to be sure and this weight could conceivably be very early Strathearn!! And even shortwave uv cannot separate Vasart Ltd from Strathearn items.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand