No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who invented introducing controlled bubbles in glass and when ? Please !  (Read 12170 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Who invented introducing controlled bubbles in glass and when ? Please !
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
Well Mike yes its the James Powell and Sons silver mark and i for one would have been bidding high on it and i know a couple of dozen others .Can i have it for CHRISTMAS . :hiclp: :cry: :kissy: :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 02:26:04 PM »
Hi Mike,
     I have started a topic here on you BRILLIANT BUY............ http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?t=3371

Regards, Patrick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Hi Mike,
 There have been some comments on 'Whiiefriars.com' that it could possibly be a marriage of silver to 9053 inkwell. I am currently thinking it is still good for all being 1906 and have put a design drawing circa 1906 of a vase using controlled bubbles made by Whitefriars on the post.
 Is the internal rim to the inkwell ground ? and also can you give the diameter of the glass that the silver lid fits over.

All best wishes ,
                    Patrick.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
Hi Patrick,
I have read all the comments on WF.com and I am working on some photos right now which I will post here. (Not sure how to do it on WF.com , Tony did send instructions ages ago but I have lost them!...) I will also give exact measurements (I have callipers !) and weights. There is no grinding and the colour is more like forest green, it's a darkish green. The other thing that could have happened is that there could have been a reduction in the diameter of the silver sleeve to the top. Somehow it could have been taken off, cut to size and re-soldered back on. There is a join to this sleeve and the patina matches on both sides of the join (I will post photos of this). So it is my thought that neither the top nor the glass have been adjusted in any way. I think the chances of finding a top which fits almost perfectly from another WF piece are minimal. I will post the photos tonight but I have just got in !
I have been so interested in all the comments on this thread ...very interesting ! Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
Here are some pics.. Note the black patina line on the inside of the sleeve to the silver top also a pic. of the outside down the join line. The patern of the patina continues either side of the join line. I will give measurements later..... I will have to the other photos on the next post as I have run out of photo space.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Here is the join, both sides.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »
Another point, the internal rim of the inkwell shows some sort of crizzling....far from grinding !!
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 09:15:51 PM »
The measurements are as follows........

The diameter of the glass that the silver lid fits over is exactly 4cm.

The height is 7.4cm

The diameter of the inkwell at it's widest point is 8.8cm

The diameter of the pontil 'lens' to the base is 4.8 cm (this is to the outer edge of the wear ring (see photo of base).

The weight without the top is 1lb 7oz's (my scales are not very good!).

Thanks to all at Whitefriars.com for all the great comments....love it !!! How exciting is this ! I hope all this extra info. will sort the problem ! It's difficult making judgements without the full picture ! Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
P.S. The lid fits almost exactly there is hardly any play at all... about 0.5 mm's worth !
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This topic slightly veered off course mid way through, but it was obviously one I remembered and something caught my eye tonight.  I've been looking through a book I have called Glass by George Savage.  It was first published in 1972, so I've no idea about the id's in it or read any reviews but I love the book.  And....getting back on track here, on page 46 there is a little beaker with controlled bubbles in it that look remarkably similar to say, a Murano bullicante piece - the caption states 'beaker of thick brownish green glass, seventeenth century'.  The bubbles are slightly larger in some areas than others but to all intents and purposes it looks to me like a controlled bubble vase with the bubbles arranged on a slight diagonal up the vase.  So if that is correct then at least 17th century?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand