No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Enormous Glass Basket - Sooner Glass  (Read 10679 times)

Tramonto.

Enormous Glass Basket - Sooner Glass
« on: November 05, 2005, 11:16:12 PM »
Hi....I'd really appreciate any info/comments on a piece of glass I acquired recently at auction please.

The basket has a pontil mark and lots of stretched bubbles.  Not sure if they are controlled though as some can be felt on the surface.  Here is a closer pic.

Thanks!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Enormous Glass Basket - Sonner Glass
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 07:04:25 AM »
Please explain pontil mark - unfinished, coursely ground, gloss polished, flat, concave?
How big is it? Is the colour of the transparent glass greenish?

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:08:22 PM »
I sure hope someone can give a definate answer to this because I see these a lot and IMHO I really don't care for them, but would love to know where they come from. Terry

Tramonto.

Pontil
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 11:04:04 PM »
Hi Ivo

I'm afraid I'm not too up on pontil marks so I've tried to take a pic of it here

I did see someone describe one in an earlier post as being like an inverted belly button - a description which I think would fit this one.  It isn't rough, or glossy, but kind of bobbled.

The basket is 45cm (18") tall and I would say that the transparent glass is more greyish than greenish.

I haven't made my mind up yet whether I actually like it or not, but I certainly find it interesting.  I acquired it by default, along with a huge glass fish, as they were both included with a Jobling firecone bowl that I bought.

Thanks for helping.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 08:04:40 AM »
Wow what a huge piece. I think the pontil is a sand pontil which is used for large pieces. The pontil rod is dipped in sand before taking up the piece, so it breaks off easier after it is finished & leaves a sandy rough circular mark.

It does not, meanwhile, help very much with the identification - except that it is not finished as a piece of art glass.  It could be Spanish or Belgian or from Romania or Poland.... they've all been known to make similar items at one time.
I also think it is more likely to have entered the country in a container than in someone's hand luggage.

Offline Tramonto

• Members
Glass Basket
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 10:29:35 PM »
Hi Ivo

Many thanks for the info.  A sand pontil fits in perfectly with the way it looks and feels, thats really interesting.  I'm sure you're right about the container too, it would more than blow any hand luggage allowance...it's so big and heavy.

Frank, no probem, I did actually register months ago but I'd forgotten my password  :oops: and so registered again recently.

Thanks again
Tramonto

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 05:52:13 PM »
Hello,

Yes;   that is an American piece of glass from the 1970s on. It was never made at any established glass company, which makes it rather hard to explain, but I will try my best.

Have you ever heard of Sooner Glass?

Here some examples.

To begin I have to admit to being a bit embarrassed for not remembering this person's name, but I do remember the details of a small human interest article written about him in the newspaper when he passed away about three years ago.

In the late 1950s an employee of the Kanawha glass company, in Dunbar, West Virginia began making and selling some glass items on his off time. He used whatever he could get his hands on from discarded company cullet to bottles and jars out of the trash. In the late 1960s he moved to Spiro, Okalahoma, where he worked for a company called Central Glass They made nothing of note, utilitarian glass items mainly.

There he formed a small group of glass making enthusiast-artist-hippie types and they all continued collecting discarded jars, bottles etc., making glass items and selling them under the "Sooner Glass" name. In case you want to know;  The state of Okalahoma is known as "The Sooner State", (don't ask me why) and that is where they took their name from.

In the late 1970s this group split up, some went off and continued to make the same type of glass items, which they sold under the name "Cherokee Glass of Wagon Hill". Others went their own way, making the same type of glass items and selling them under the name "Becraft of the Ozarks".

Are you bored with this yet or am I only being full of myself, just assuming that you haven't already hit your back button and moved on to something interesting lol!

I can't say for sure if they are still making and selling their glass under those names or not, but I do know that they or someone else is still making the exact same type of glass items, in a few of the south western states and in Mexico as well. It is sold to tourists along the road sides and at gas stations.

The animated .Gif in the following link pretty much expresses how folks here feel about this type of glass.

http://www.ysartglass.com/forum/sooner.gif

Just like anything else there are likely a few dedicated collectors out there, but most pick it up at garage sales or flea markets. A bit of it gets listed on ebay and a lesser bit of that does sell. I believe the main problem is the weight of these items, which make them cost more to ship it than the items are actually worth at this time. Another factor is that they are so commonplace and it's impossible to tell the older apart from the newer unless they still have their original paper labels on them, but most people don't know the history, so they also wouldn't know one label from the other either.

Last of all;  This type of glass often shows up in ebay auctions said to be Murano Glass or whatever else strikes one's fancy to call it. Going by what I have seen over time, by the colors and the style of the piece posted above I would say it was made by the "Becraft of the Ozarks"  group.

I wish I could say it was something really special or even just OK, but I'm assuming we all want to know the real facts about our glass right?

Mike

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 07:20:18 PM »
I haven't really done any genuine research on this type of glass, but I have been collecting glass etc., (new and old) for over 30 years and have seen many things once considered to be second hand junk turn into valuable collectables 10 or 20 years later.

What I know about this particular glass is based mainly on my living in the same time period it was made and of course seeing it for sale here and there when it was brand new, rather than in a second hand shop, so yes;   I have seen my share of labeled examples.

My very first experience seeing shelves of those big nightmare-looking (my opinion) glass swan bowls they made left quite an impression in my head that I have never forgotten to this day.

I also tend to read anything about glass making, when that sort of story gets into our newspaper's Home & Garden or Arts section, so of course it was pretty easy for me to remember what I read, since I knew exactly what kind of glass the story was about and I also know all of the jokes and quips about that glass, which have been around a long time.

For one who is just discovering this kind of glass and is unaware of the stigma and jokes that have always been attached to it;  the history may seem rather interesting and I admit;   it really is an interesting story, but the glass pretty much speaks for itself and many people turn their noses up at it anyway, good history behind it or not.

I hate to be one who discourages another from liking and enjoying something they find to be special to them, but history is history, bad or good and history is continuously being made too, so I'm not poo-pooing your glass, only giving you the history of it so far.

I've seen many ugly glass ducklings turn out to be beautiful glass swans to someone else in my day. As they say;  beauty is in the eye of the beholder and from life experience I know that each generation defines what beauty is to them.

Mike

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 11:23:53 PM »
Mike, Thank you so much. As I said earlier I do see a lot of this around here and I even think I know of a piece with a lable. Its rather funny, but this past weekend when I was out "Antiquing" or maybe should say "Glassing" I saw what was probably the largest and most outrageous piece. It was a truly monumental cornicopia with applied flowers. I asked my companion if she would like to take it home.
Well needess to say if looks could kill, my funeral would have been today. Thanks again, Terry

Offline Tramonto

• Members
My missing basket - found at last !
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 12:03:00 AM »
:D  Hehe, how could I be offended with all this great info flooding in.  Unfortunately I can't see the gif or other links though  :cry: I did make a point of saying that I acquired this piece by default as it came with a Jobling bowl I was after at an auction...its not really the prettiest of pieces is it..just interesting.  

[Thanks for moving it Javier - at least I know I haven't gone blind, I was searching for it on the Murano page....LOL]

I wonder if the fish that came with it is american too then, uh ho, where's my camera  :wink:

Seriously, all info is gratefully received, good and bad.  Thanks folks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand