No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent,question two...?  (Read 914 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Opalescent,question two...?
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
2.5 inches high with applied frills same orange glow but different base,concave with wear on the points of contact,also thought this was victorian,is it????help,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Opalescent,question two...?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
Victorian for this too. Looks like a preserve dish that would have been in a metal frame

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »
Thanks again Christine,a metal frame? even with the applied decoration?

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:38:05 PM »
Keith
I have a weakness for these dishes, so will share what I have found out. Your dish is one of the very few examples of a pressed marmalade dish.  Most are art glass (free-blown and shaped).  This one might have been made by Davidson, but I have not verified it.  There might be a mold line or two you can spot on your bowl.  Also, all of the petals on the side (retaining ring) are uniform.  If it was art glass, there would be slight differences. That retaining ring is where the bowl sits on the frame, and the piece was designed to sit elevated (base not touching the table) when it is in the frame.  You need a frame for it.  For examples of frames you are looking for, please see my link.  When I end up with a bowl and no frame, I start watching auctions for a nice frame with a sub-par insert, then just marry the two pieces. 

http://www.vaselineglass.org/victorianjelly.html
click on any small image to see a full size picture.

Dave
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »
Thanks Dave,after all these years collecting I never knew these bowls,and I've seen lots,were meant to have frames in fact I don't remember ever seeing one.Davidson would never have crossed my mind I always thought of Stourbridge for this type,suppose being local I'm a bit biased,what do you make of 'opalescent one';I'm due to fetch a couple of threaded opalescent bowls in a week or two,if they are still there, I'll post them if possible,thanks again,Keith

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:17:16 AM »
Keith: I saw OPAL 1, but no clue, so did not reply.  I currently have 10 of the marmalades in frames, but have had upwards of 20 at a time.  with that many frames and bowls, i will switch them around to fit better.  not all frames fit all bowls.  they all vary slightly.  if you shop for a frame, ask the seller the inside dimension and best of luck finding a fit.

take a look at this link:
http://www.vaselineglass.org/pressedrib.jpg

If you look closely, you will see that this marmalade is the same as yours, other than the top rim was manipulated differently when the glass was still soft.  the ribs are there, the retaining ring is all uniform with no variation, etc.  your dish and this dish came out of the same mold, and are basically the same other than the top rim being altered by the glassworker.  your bowl should fit in a frame like that one.

Dave

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:53:18 PM »
Is yours uranium glass Keith?

Offline keith

• Members