No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royal Brierley Studio topic  (Read 149116 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Royal Brierley Studio
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »
7 inches high,thought at first that it may have been 'Heron' glass but saw a piece on ebay with the same decor and signed,tried to link it but failed ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Royal Brierley Studio,another variation.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51:42 PM »
When do you think this dates to Keith?  any ideas?  It reminds me of the 'Dale Tiffany' pieces with that pulled spatter effect (although the red when you look closely, is classic Royal Brierley studio iridescent surface effect isn't it?) and also a Heron glass lampshade I had with similar effect but in black not white.  Both of which are much later in date I would think, than this vase?
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
I know they were still going in 1986,when they stopped manufacture I'd have to check,I'm sure someone here could tell us,this piece does differ from the 'classic' pieces and I presume it might be later production,then again ::)pic's to compare ;D ;D.Then again there are quite a few variations in the 'studio' range.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
Other variations... ;D,not forgetting the iridescent purple ones ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »
I love that bowl shape.  I made a regretful mistake when I first started selling some of my glass, and sold one that shape in a stunning Turquoise iridescence.  I rarely see that shape come up .  I do still have one red piece in the vase shape but not very big.  Their red and orange were beautiful and intense colours.
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »
Still have to get the green and light blue,these are the others...

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
Sorry,just being silly.I've been trying to find more about RB'y but without much success but came across another possible puzzle,on page 361 of '20th Century B. Glass' bottom pic' far left,a small (Caithness )vase using powdered enamels to create textures,this looks very similar to a piece I have with a RB sticker ???,so did the label jump?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Royal Brierley vase with spatters/surface texture and iridescence
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »
aha! and that looks VERY similar to two little textured vases I had.  One is now sold,the other I still have and it came with a Hartley Wood giftware label. I subsequently found another on ebay and the owner said it had been bought at Hartley wood before it closed, so I feel fairly confident the one I still have is a Hartley wood piece.  I wonder if they all started jobbing out these little surface textured vases at a similar time to compete with each other? 
Sorry I didn't mean to change the title  I don't know how that happened. And I couldn't face typing it all again :-[
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »
Now I'm worried,here's the label on this piece and another I got recently,could this be a 'not really a Royal Brierley' ? :o :o

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
The red trailed one or one very similar was seen on the Style and Design website with an attribution of possibly STevens and Williams or Orrefors if I recall.  I'm not sure how they got their attribution but I think your labelled one clinched it as RB.
I'm not sure what the significance is of the different labels but I would think the trailed one would be an earlier piece.  I wonder if they, or at least some of them, fall under Royal Brierley and not Royal Brierley Studio.  It's quite confusing from what I recall reading, there were two 'Studios' somehow.  I'll need to go and look the info up again but I think it is in CH 20th Century British Glass?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand