No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scratched and Waterstained Glass  (Read 2498 times)

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
Re: Scratched and Waterstained Glass
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »
Hello Rob

Thanks so much for your suggestions! However, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by copper bits and where would you source them? Does aluminium oxide come in powder form? Once again, is it easy to source?

Cheers Carlo
all text and pictures © twenty21

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »
I posted some links above about cleaning bottles in the US.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar hobbies in Australia.  For the bits of copper, people take copper wire and clip it into 1/8th or 1/16 lengths or they make a jig to do it with an electric drill.  Aluminum oxide does come in powdered form.  People who tumble gems to polish them use this kind of technology as well, but the copper is useful for glass because it is too soft to scratch the glass but heavy enough to push the oxide around.  I'd check out bottle collectors (people who dig up bottles as a  hobby) in Australia and I'll bet it is the same as it is in the US.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »
There are two substitutes you can use for the copper. Try BBs as in BB gun or small hardened plastic industrial pellets as both as less expensive by a long shot compared with copper. Ken

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »
People use glass beads too, (which are much cheaper but much lighter), but bb's are plated steel and not ideal for cleaning glass.  I'm only going from what the bottle collectors do, but there are a whole lot of these guys in the states and cut copper wire seems to be the final material of choice.  I went to the Baltimore Bottle show recently and I think they had over a thousand booths selling bottles and bottle related stuff.  And there were tumbling machines there and copper cut to size and aluminum oxide.  Seems to be the preferred method.  And some of these bottles are worth quite a lot of money, so people are careful about damaging them.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 05:51:10 AM »
I guess I should have clarified that I meant plastic BBs which have been around for awhile now. Airsoft & Crossman both make them & you can get a jug rather inexpensively. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand