No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For pavement light lovers, deck lights!  (Read 971 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
For pavement light lovers, deck lights!
« on: December 28, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
For anyone with a passion for pavement lights here are some photos of a couple of deck lights.  ;D

These were removed from a wooden boat during some restoration work by my brother in law. The boat was originally built in 1947 (served as a 'Scottish Islands ferry') but I believe these lights were installed in the 1970s and are likely to have originally come from another boat. The lights are set into bronze housings (bronze withstands salt water corrosion better than most metals) and one housing is stamped 1083 but there are no other marks that I have noticed.

The glass has a slight lilac tinge which is much more pronounced in the photos than it is to the eye. The lights measure 25cm by 7cm, the triangular bit is about 5.5cm deep. With housings, they weigh over 3kg each.

Enjoy.  :)

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: For pavement light lovers, deck lights!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:52 AM »
The colour is almost certainly a result of manganese used in the metal to give the glass clarity  :spls:. see here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,515.0.html

Be nice if these could be traced to a Scottish maker but more likely Birmingham where there was a maker of such things... got their catalogue somewhere.

If you email the pics, I will put it into my 'do something about this one day' folder  :-[ still got 4,000 description to change and 4,000 images to add to SG and lots more for other sites... not to mention building half a house and finding a source of income  :24:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:24:53 AM »
Cheers, will email you the photos later this evening Frank, if you have too much time on your hands I would suggest the odd crossword. ;D

John

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:27:50 AM »
Hi John-- nice deck prisms!  That style is used to this day-- I think Davey & Co makes them still, and perhaps others.  Sometimes they have acrylic lenses  :P

Here's a pic I just took (and placed in the Public Domain at Wikicommons) of my deck prism collection.  I have one of that rectangular type, too, as well as some yet rarer ones.  They're all rare now.

Cheers...

--ian

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:47:11 AM »
Wow................  love them all , but especially the small violet one at the bottom.

Regards, Patrick :) :) :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »
LOVELY! Thanks for sharing these  :kissy:

:mrgreen:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
So that's not a lemon squeezer in the centre then?  :D

John

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »
Wow................  love them all , but especially the small violet one at the bottom.

Patrick, it is a loverly dark purple and would surely be purty as hell sticking out the ceiling belowdecks, but it's such a dark color that hardly any light passes so it's fairly useless as illumination.  Mood lighting it would be.  Feelin' purple...

Someone got the shakes adding manganese to the batch I suppose.  You see that sort of heavy purple color often in Canadian insulators.  Either they wanted to make purple glass on purpose or just tried to decolorize and got it wrong...

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:00:59 PM »
So that's not a lemon squeezer in the centre then?

That's the Mother of All Reamer-Style Deck Prisms.  Supposedly recovered from the bottom of the Baltic, it's 7 3/4" in diameter and weights 10 1/4#.  Got heavy-handed with the selenium decolorizer it looks like.  I need a smaller (normal!) reamer for the collection.  They still make that pattern today.  These guys have the best selection of patterns, including bulls-eye, reamer and rectangular prism.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand