No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I need help to ID this huge vase  (Read 2127 times)

Offline meenman

• Members
I need help to ID this huge vase
« on: January 14, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
This vase is 16.5" tall 8.5" ID. at the top,6.25" dia, on the bottom. The aventurine glass rope is .75"X.5" and runs the whole length of the body. It shows lots of wear on the bottom. I put it under a black light and it does mildy fluoresce on the entire outside. It does not fluoresce on the inside. When you show it under the black light I see a definite separation line on the edge of the folded top pedals or leaves.It looks like it is sandwiched under the black light.So like I said the outside fluoresces and the inside does not.  I hope that makes sense.Any info will be helpfull. Sorry about the dark photos but this really absorbs light and is hard to photograph. Even with direct sunlight directly behind it.The photo with the vase in front of the window, the color of the vase is truly more purple that blue.  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: I need help to ID this huge vase
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
Hello,welcome,interesting vase,the aventurine leads me towards Italy but I've a knack for being wrong as you'll soon find out,Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »
I've just realised you posted this in the Murano' section so I'm an idiot,ignore everything I say,Keith.

Offline meenman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
Any thoughts on the age of this baby?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
I wouldn't be too sure it's Italian...

Offline meenman

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »
Really? What would be your opinion?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't rule out Chinese or Eastern European. That frill is just plain clumsy and "huge" always worries me, as the Chinese seem to go with the option of blinding purchasers with size. It's difficult to see any detail because you haven't attached your pictures so they blow up.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
Try taking it outside for some pics, as the shape is really the only think I can see. I agree with Christine, in that it is a "clumsy" looking piece from what I can see, and IMHO an Italian piece of this size would generally be quite well executed..... 

Better pictures in sunlight that are larger would also help.... The picture of the base, for example is a large black circle to me with no detail of any kind.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline meenman

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
Belive me I took it outside in the sun and it is  imposible to photograph because  it absorbs all light even direct sunlight. It is really very black glass and it does floresce under black light.  If you see the photo with the window that is directly in front of a window on a bright sunny day. As a matter of fact here are more pics from another post on Ebay help board.I hope this works. http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/I-Need-Help/510179468Thanks Aundra.  http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/I-Need-Help/510179468

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
Hi, Aundra. I think you're vase is an attractive one. The flourescence in the pictures just appears to be the glass reflecting the black light. Many types of glass, e.g. opaline, do this. I don't recognize your vase. My first impulse was Poland, but it was just a guess. Your vase could well be Italian. The only thing I can say with certainty is that it was molded and the rim was hand worked, but it doesn't help at all. I don't find anything clumsy about your vase. Different people like different things. The detail of the applied glass showed up better in your eBay discussion pictures. I find the gold work attractive.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand