No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small blue Penguin chick ...any ideas on the maker please ?  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Small blue Penguin chick ...any ideas on the maker please ?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
Thanks Jackie for your help, very kind  :thup: Cheers,  Mike .
Mike

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »
Pic of Whitefriars penguin

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3300

Just a thought but Isle of Wight Studio Glass did produce their minimal series of animals in coloured glass without the Azurene finish in 1983 only, according to Mark Hill's book.  Not having seen one I couldn't say whether it is or not.  Also two ex-Wedgewood workers were employed to produce the range - could explain why it resembles a Wedgewood Penguin.

Hope this helps

Suzy x

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »
Hi Suzy,
Thanks for the info ! Could well be !
Here is a link to a Whitefriars 'frigger' . Probably or maybe after Boffo ?
The Penguin here (in this thread) is, I think, very thick Kingfisher Blue.....the flash doesnt show the green in the blue (but look at the beak you can see the green).... I'm 90 % sure that this  penguin is Kingfisher Blue but  Isle of Wight glass could well have made a very similar colour. The Penguin in this link is amber. What do you think ? Possibly a Whitefriars piece after Boffo...or perhaps not ! Could be I.O.W. ?

http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?t=2995&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lighting+pink

You have to scroll down to the the Penguin !!!! Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 11:24:17 AM »
I'm afraid I can't be of much more help on the Whitefriars side of things, very ignorant on most glass apart from Mdina and IoWSG.

Came across the image whilst trawling for pics and thought it might be relevant - found another Whitefriars one this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/sets/72157617558316670/

The amber one in your post has flippers that reflex forwards, this might be a more distinct feature to compare to your blue one.  The two Whitefriars images I found have no flippers.

Suzy x

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:44 PM »
Hi Suzy,

Great pics of a WF penguin ...I think they are 6 inches in height ..would love to find one at a carboot  ::)

I have limited knowledge in all areas of glass !! But it is an endlessly facinating subject and very difficult to attribute items sometimes ! This little chick being a case in point ! I see what you mean about the flippers .

Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »
Hi Mike,
 I have a similar blue penguin to yours, also a smaller one in amber both shown in the image below.  Included in the image and on the right is one that I purchased from an ex Whitefriars worker ( Nashy ) who has attributed it to Boffo. The colour is a dense soda based amber used in lighting shades that were made using metal frames.
 As mentioned the flippers in the larger 2 project forward and in the Boffo they face back. It is interesting that they all have random bubbles .

Regards,
              Patrick.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »
Thanks Patrick,
What a lovely line-up of penguins , looks like a scene from the Antarctic ! Yours do look distinctly different in certain ways but there are also similarities . Mine is made of lead crystal and doesn't have the bubbles. It does have a small hole in the base which could be a cut-off bubble.
I will bring it to Cambridge so that you can have a look and see what you think about the colour. It might be possible that it is WF, it certainly is very well modeled and looks like a really cute penguin chick.  Cheers, Mike.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand