No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small boat-shaped ornament with lugs - ID = Mtarfa  (Read 2811 times)

Offline kmax70

• Members
Small boat-shaped ornament with lugs - ID = Mtarfa
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
This came with the chunky bowl in my previous post, but is not, I think, from the same maker.  The base is flat and there seems to be an etched signature on it.   The colours are blue and yellow cased in clear glass again.   It measures approx.  3.5 ins (9cm) long by 2.25ins (6cm) tall.  As always, any help gratefully received.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
It's by Mtarfa, a Maltese glassworks.

Suzy x

Offline kmax70

• Members
Many thanks, Suzy.   I assume that that is what is etched on the base.  Any idea as to its age?   KathleenM.

Offline suzygpr

• Members
I don't know a huge amount about Mtarfa - yes that's what is etched on the base.  It's run by Paul Said, brother to Joseph who took over Mdina, hence the similarities in colours and styles.  It would be worth doing a search on previous GMB threads - I'm sure you'd get a lot of info from them - it's how I learn!

At a guess I'd say early 80's but, like Mdina, they use the same shapes and colours for a long time.

Hope this helps

Suzy x

Offline kmax70

• Members
Re: Small boat-shaped ornament with lugs - ID = Mtarfa
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
Many thanks again, Suzy.   I'll do a saerch for Mtarfa items.    Have you any idea what it is???  - apart, that is, from a whatnot?

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
It's a whatnot that's small enough to fit in a tourist's suitcase.  ;D

Suzy x

Offline kmax70

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
Hmm!   And it got back intact - or did it!   perhaps it was part of another whatnot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand