No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Did Mdina make snails?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Did Mdina make snails?
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »
Colours look very much Mdina. Width 4" and height "3. Unfinished pontil.

Thanks
Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Did Mdina make snails?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
I've seen some on ebay, but the shells spiraled at a 90 degree angle from this one. Mtarfa also make snails. I'm not comletely sure about the colours here though. My close-up glasses are upstairs right now  ::) - and I need to wait for a bit before tackling them.
I think a lot of places make snails.......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline IAM

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
I have a little Mdina bird with a flat polished base & signed which is usually the case, I do not think they did unfinished pontil marks,,,,,,in my humble opinion! ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »
I really don't know what to make of this one at all, I'm sorry - I'd need to get my mitts on it.

However, in the early days, the Boffos made jugs and animals in their own time, which they sold in Valetta.

Also in the earlier days, how a piece was finished was very random indeed. To start off with, they did not have their own polishing equipment, it had to be taken to a polisher in town. They were incredibly busy, finding it hard to keep up with orders, and when and how something was finished depended very much on staff  being available to do it after they got their own equipment, or to take it to town beforehand.

I do think though, that most of the snails I've seen are later than the Harris and Boffo period - they tend to have the splodgy enamels.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »

Also in the earlier days, how a piece was finished was very random indeed. To start off with, they did not have their own polishing equipment, it had to be taken to a polisher in town. They were incredibly busy, finding it hard to keep up with orders, and when and how something was finished depended very much on staff  being available to do it after they got their own equipment, or to take it to town beforehand.

Im driven insane by telling people this Sue, the amount of times ive been told a piece was definatly made by Michael Harris himself because 'its not signed and he never signed his work and this piece isnt signed ergo it must be his work'  :o
Ive never seen a snail, not saying it's not but as sue says would need it in my hands to decide (if possible)
Michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »
Mdina snail on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130363807796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Quite different, but I'm still unsure if that means anything!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »
Hi Chris
I was looking for something else and came across Kerry Glass.  Or I think it is called Kerry Crafted Glass now.  The designer/maker did work for Kerry glass I believe.  He does animals.  My only observation was that I couldn't see a snail on the site and also I thought the glass appeared more green (yours has some blue in as well) and less dense colour.  But may be worth a look?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand